selling a car in France

mint

Can someone please recap for me the procedure and paperwork needed to sell a car in France, please?

Car all ready to be sold, CT'd for the next 2 years.  Just need to know about the certificat de cession, the legal actions needed to be perfectly reassured as I am selling to a new driver and I wouldn't want him to have any problems because of something I have failed to do.

Can you get this certificat de cession on line and, if noy, from where?  Do I just hand over the carte grise on payment by the buyer?  Can anyone think of anything else that I should know or do?

I think I'd MUCH rather someone told me than if I got the info from google because I might get it all mangled up in my head!

mint wrote : Just need to know about the certificat de cession, the legal actions needed to be perfectly reassured as I am selling to a new driver and I wouldn't want him to have any problems because of something I have failed to do.

You can download the cert de cession from the internet or you can fill it in online. It comprises three copies : one for you, one for the buyer and one you post to the préfecture.

You need the carte grise in front of you to fill in the details of the car and the present owner.

Either the buyer fills in his parts of each form or you do it for him (as I have just done).

You need to know a fair bit about the buyer eg name, address, date and place of birth.

The seller has to sign each form in 2 places, the buyer just once on each form.

You might need the CT to give you the exact details of the car and the kilométrage on the day of the sale.

At the time of the sale you draw 2 line across the the carte grise and write 'vendu à ...' (with the date and the exact time) and sign that.

From the internet you access the form for what used to be called the 'certificat de non-gage'. You put in certain details and the gouv site gives you the cert saying there are no outstanding debts on the car.

You give the buyer :

1. crossed carte grise - fill in the back too

2. contrôle technique cert

3. cert de non-gage

4. his copy of the cert de cession

It's time consuming but not difficult.

Sue

You can download a certificat de cession online from here.....

https://www.formulaires.modernisation.gouv.fr/gf/cerfa_13754.do

Bear in mind there are three copies that need filled out - so maybe get a "real" carbon copy one to save time from the prefecture...my local mayors keep them too.

Buyer gets a copy, you keep one and you send one to the prefecture. You might need to send a copy of yours to your insurer to cancel the policy, but generally not if you are just changing to a different car.

The buyer might want a certificate de non gage to prove no finance or other problems preventing the sale. Get one online here.....

https://siv.interieur.gouv.fr/map-usg-ui/do/csa_retour_dem_certificat

When the sale is definite, write diagonally across the carte gris "VENDU LE...." with the date and time of the sale and sign it. Buyer takes this away.

Insurance....up to you if you want to let the new buyer drive home with your insurance. Personally there is NO FUCKING WAY i would let this happen, so make sure to remove the carte verte and the green square from the windscreen .....up to them to insure it or take their chances. Anything that occurs after the time on the forms is their problem.

Cash is king...any kind of cheque de banque or even a personal cheque I will only take during banking hours and pay in the bank before the car leaves. if they use a cheque I take a copy of their ID card too, just in case. Merely asking for this once flushed out some guy who suddenly didnt want the car and left quickly......

If I have any doubts I discretely try to snap a photo of the buyer and note the reg number of the vehicle they arrive in.

Sue and Dave, I am agog with awe and admiration!  Thank goodness I didn't try to attempt this on my own.

Will do all as you have suggested and get everything ready in time.  The young man is getting his driving license at the end of the month and he can't wait to get his hands on the car.

Thank you again and I am sure many on the forum will find your information most useful.

If you download and save the form from Dave's link  [url]https://www.formulaires.modernisation.gouv.fr/gf/cerfa_13754.do[/url] ,

you can complete it on screen before you print it out.

Click on "Fill & Sign" in the right hand panel by the form and complete the copy you see on the screen.

Filling out the first copy in this way also completes the other two copies, saving time and producing a neater and more legible result than filling out by hand.

I usually complete all the details available in advance, save the form, and complete the rest when the sale has been agreed and I have the buyer's details. All that is necessary then is to print the three copies and sign them as required.

I note that the latest form, Cerfa nº 13754*03, requires the buyer's date of birth, which was not required on 13754*02, so maybe not a good idea to use forms from the Mairie if they are old stock without this section.

Don't you just love the people on the forum who are so knowledgeable and take the time to donate their advice when you most need it?

I don't like it when people say the forum is "dead" and ask how long it can continue.  It's been like a lifeline to me for more times than I care to count.

Any news on the house front, birdie?

• 2 months later...
Big thanks again to Sue and Dave - and to mint for asking the original question.

I have just passed my car to my (French) neighbours, and knew so much more than they did about the whole procedure! Luckily I printed the set of forms out twice, cos we certainly made the odd mistake and had to start again... In fact, I think I have filled in the forms in triplicate three times now!

Cancelling the insurance was a breeze by comparison.

If you follow the suggestions in my post here in August, you can fill out the form once on your screen and three copies will be created. You can then print out a single copy if you want to double check it, and print all three copies when you are satisfied.

There really is no need to print out multiple blank copies and fill them out by hand.

The only sections that have to be done by hand are the signatures[I]

[quote user="nomoss"]If you download and save the form from Dave's link 

[url]https://www.formulaires.modernisation.gouv.fr/gf/cerfa_13754.do[/url] ,

you can complete it on screen before you print it out.

Click on "Fill & Sign" in the right hand panel by the form and complete the copy you see on the screen.

Filling out the first copy in this way also completes the other two copies, saving time and producing a neater and more legible result than filling out by hand.

I usually complete all the details available in advance, save the form, and complete the rest when the sale has been agreed and I have the buyer's details. All that is necessary then is to print the three copies and sign them as required.

I note that the latest form, Cerfa nº 13754*03, requires the buyer's date of birth, which was not required on 13754*02, so maybe not a good idea to use forms from the Mairie if they are old stock without this section.

[/quote]

Yes, I had read that post, and would indeed like to have filled it in online, nomoss. But I knew my printer in France was not working, so I could not have printed it once I got there, and anyway I did not know the buyer’s dob. So I couldn’t think of a solution other than to print out the blank forms while still in the uk and take them with me.

Well, as of yesterday it's all changed  [url]www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1050[/url]

CG for French registered cars online if the seller has provided the code de cession, or via a professionnel agrée, imports on line only.

An attestation d'assurance for the vehicle and a driving licence of the category of vehicle being registered must also be produced if using a professionnel.