what would you expect to pay for......

mint

pine trees for hedging?

Yes, I don't like them much either and they are not for me though I shall be buying them.

Needs must, the hedge has to grow at the rate of trifids and protect from prying eyes ASAP.

As I hope to make a present of them, I'd like to know some sort of price before I rashly make a promise[:)]

Anyone know how much I can expect to pay for a small tree and what distance between each tree to make a decent hedge?

Thanks

[quote user="sweet 17"]pine trees for hedging?

Yes, I don't like them much either and they are not for me though I shall be buying them.

Needs must, the hedge has to grow at the rate of trifids and protect from prying eyes ASAP.

As I hope to make a present of them, I'd like to know some sort of price before I rashly make a promise[:)]

Anyone know how much I can expect to pay for a small tree and what distance between each tree to make a decent hedge?

Thanks

[/quote]

Can someone please take a stab at this?  I just need to know, approximately, the price per unit and the number, say, per metre so that I can do a rough calculation before commiting myself?

Thanks.

http://www.jardiland.com/mon-jardin/1-pepiniere

You can see the prices and I would think that there will be a web site telling you how far apart you should plant them.

I know nothing of this stuff, so that is the best I can do for you.[:D]

If you're talking Leylandii, I think you'd pay about €2.50 each, but that would be when Leclerc have them on promo. We bought Eleagneus recently (about 1,50 tall) for just over €5 from a nursery and planted them about 80cm apart.

Found this site:  www.planfor.  Good prices and delivery for 9€50.

10 metre hedge with 13 plants to be planted at 80 cm apart, all for under 40€.  I think I'll get 20 metres and make someone very happy.

Thanks for your input.  Sometimes I think I just feel a bit flummoxed when I have to buy something different [:(]

We had eleagneus at our french house, but ours did not grow quickly.

I know so many people who have got rid of leylandii and have cursed it, I am not even sure why, but it has been enough to put me off, so I wouldn't have it.

I've got eleagnus. We put it in at about a foot high, and it did take a few years to join up, but boy did it get tall and thick within a few years! I chopped it all back to short stumps a few winters ago, and it grew back enthusiastically but I now know to keep on top of it, as it were, and keep it a manageable height.

The tiny white flowers in autumn do have the most magnificent scent.

Angela

We have connifers in the front and laurel at the back of the present house.

I am not at all keen on leylandii, finding them a menace to cut back as I am allergic to their touch.

But this purchase is for friends who have already expressed a wish to have them and I just thought they would be a nice surprise.

OH likes cotoneaster/mahonia type of hedging plants which also take some time to get established but do produce lovely berries for the birds in autumn and winter.  Wooly, should you be reading this, I haven't forgotten that you rather like.........er....birds in general and one bird in particular?

[quote user="sweet 17"]Found this site:  www.planfor.  Good prices and delivery for 9€50.

10 metre hedge with 13 plants to be planted at 80 cm apart, all for under 40€.  I think I'll get 20 metres and make someone very happy.

Thanks for your input.  Sometimes I think I just feel a bit flummoxed when I have to buy something different [:(]

[/quote]

I bought a hedgeworth of Photinia from Planfor a few weeks ago. They are in the Landes area, so not too far away for the climate to be much different from here, and the price was far better than anything I could find locally.

They arrived very quickly, well packed, moist, and in good condition. One has to be careful extracting tender plants from a sea of polystyrene "peanuts" though.