TEFL certificate by email?

Cricket

There are quite a few companies about. I did quite a bit of research and found one offering 100 hours that can be upgraded to TESOL & can be completed via the post. I can pass on details if you are interested. They were the first company to develop the programme. Cost 195. Fully accredited.

Does the course offer a valid certificate at the end? It would need to be Trinity or Cambridge certified. I took the TESOL course with a private provider 18 months ago on a 30 day (cost + 800 residential basis (another 400) and it was very, very hard. I don't know for certain but I would be wary of anyone offering it online or by post. To get a recognised certificate you need to have at least 12 hours supervised teaching practice and all of your course work needs to be moderated by the awarding body. Also, that is really only the start. To teach properly you need to build up a portfolio of lesson plans etc. and invest quite a lot of money on course books. Then, when you've done all that, you need to persuade your prospective students that the tuition is worth more than 8 euros an hour and believe me, that's not easy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't say that it's a scam, but the website is very light on information on accreditation. Their ISO 9000 they mention several times is nothing to do with TEFL as far as I can see. The ISO site says that it covers:

- the customer's quality requirements, and
- applicable regulatory requirements, while aiming to
- enhance customer satisfaction, and
- achieve continual improvement of its performance in pursuit of these objectives.

so you may not have a recognised qualification at the end of the course. I would give way to others' greater knowledge, but that would seem to cut out working for state bodies, although the certificate might be of use inside a company. But as I say I have no direct experience of this.

Regards

Dick
IN REGIONE CAECORUM REX EST LUSCUS