Teaching English

Db4

Hi
We are moving to France in the next few months and I thought it might be a good idea to Teach English. I am at present studying for me CELTA training. I searched the forum yesterday and realised that teaching is not as simple as putting up a poster offering your services and waiting for eager students!!
I would be really grateful to hear from anyone who has managed to pursue this profession, good or bad and for a 'lay mens' guide to the legalities. We are planning on moving to Hesdin if this makes any difference. I was going to go to peoples houses or have them come to us rather than teach in an establishment.
Thanks for any info

Judging by the lack of response this old thread probably includes the sum total of the forum's knowledge...
http://www.livingfrance.com/dcforum/DCForumID48/162.html

I'm sorry but am I the only one who thinks this posting is a wind up?!

The word 'teach' does not require a capital letter.

I'm not quite sure that 'for me CELTA training' conforms to any system of grammar that I have ever studied.

'Laymen' is all one word and requires an apostrophe if it is used possessively.

'Peoples houses' requires an apostrophe. Where do the apostrophes go? Answers on a postcard please!!

I feel an alternative career could be the solution.

In order to teach a subject, one has to have a command of it. N'est-ce pas?

Frank

Hi!
I started my life here (Vende) some 4 years ago, by approaching the Centre d'Etude des Langues (Chambre de Commerce) where they were crying out for native English speakers with 5 years experience of working with adults - these were the only criteria required then.
I also worked in 3 primary schools, working with the top two years: only 7 or so hours per week.
Then I placed small ads. in local tabacs and boulangeries, offering private lessons. I had 3 or 4 responses, so it is certainly worth doing, as the ad. cost nothing!
Good luck to you: it's worth it, even though the preparation time was a bit exhausting!
No doubt 'Frank' will have fun correcting my English, but, who cares? Get a life, Frank!