Yesterday out of curiosity I tried to find the french average wage and to compere it to UK average(25000euro,s been banded about),this was due to a posting on rising house prices in france and would the locals could afford,could only find the minimum wage,which as risen this year by 5.8% to around 13500euro,s per year(£9500ish).

The only place I've ever seen a national wage quoted is on the Copains d'Avant website.  Here's their Montpellier page, it's a bit old, but aren't we all:

MONTPELLIER                  MOYENNE NATIONALE

Population (1999)225 511 habitants
Rang national (population)8e
Superficie56,88 km²
Densité de population3 965 hab / km²108 hab / km²
Taux de chômage (1999)22,4%12,9%
Revenu moyen par ménage14 191 Euro / an20 363 Euro / an

Just had a quick look an anpe web site,7.61euros per hour(49.5francs) for one job at least,39 hours by 7.61 is 296.79 by 52 weeks in a year is 15433.08euros per year depending on what the £ euro rate is around 10 and a half grand,what loan could one get on that.Thanks SB but I like you I cannot for this/last years number.

It's really hard to compare French and UK wages for jobs that aren't hourly paid, because the British quote salary in terms of gross annual, and the French use net monthly, and have the added complication of the 13th month. Net monthly is net of social security, but not net of income tax. When we moved over here we tried to translate a UK salary into its French net monthly equivalent, and had to give up as it was too complicated ...

Jo

The smic rate is gross.  Then you have to deduct roughly 20% which is your take home pay before tax.

The amount of smic marked on OH wage slip is 7,80.  He isn't paid smic by the way!  If you look at the top of the note and then the bottom, he comes out with four fifths...then pays tax.

The hours are calculated on 35 per week x 52 divided by 12.  152 approximately.  The people who worked 39 hours or 40 before the new law came in have another calculation.

It is very complicated if you are used to the UK way.  Like lots of things here, you need to be born French to understand them!

[quote]Yesterday out of curiosity I tried to find the french average wage and to compere it to UK average(25000euro,s been banded about),this was due to a posting on rising house prices in france and would t...[/quote]

for most of france the average wage is around  18-20K euros/year, but in the Paris area it is much higher - up to double this.

for some figures from 2001 check out http://www.lesechos.fr/regions/atlas/atlas_02_06_2004.htm

and click on the tables at the bottom of the page.

regs

Richard

Hi

The French national statistics office INSEE is a useful source for facts and figures on France, see:

http://www.insee.fr/

They have an English lang section as well.

I noticed a short paragraph on average wage levels from 2002, it read:

The average monthly wage for a full-time job in private and semi-public sector businesses stood at Euro2,321 gross and Euro1,779 net.

Regards

Craig

http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/