HOUSE HUNTING

I am contemplating leaving a vehicle in France.Close to Marseilles,Nice,Toulouse or Carcassonne (handy access to easyjet) I would then commute on a regular basis to perform a leisurely search.Has anyone any experience of suitable locations in these areas.(without breaking the bank!)

• 2 weeks later...

Have you thought of Rodez airport? There are now daily flights with Ryanair, and the local area (Aveyron, Lot) is extremely beautiful; I know as I live in the Aveyron and my boyfriend lives in the Lot.  the property is far more reasonable than in the other areas you mention.

Happy hunting!

And being a miserable so and so I wish everyone would stop leaving cars there for months at a time!!  I have to go there regularly - sometimes twice a week in season - to collect/deliver people and it is now almost impossible to get a parking space because of the number of long term cars.  When I say long term I mean several months.  I understand that it is more convenient for people to have a car here for there holiday home, but couldn't they get someone to collect them if they are not going to be here for several months at a time.

Moan over, time for some rare sunshine!!

Maggi

It's the same at most regional airports, la rochelle, poitiers, nantes and tours etc one car was parked in the grass area and the grass was quite long around it, not to mention some GB cars that were out of tax and windows broken, surprised they have not started charging to park. They charge now at beauvais.

Not the point that it is free - the point is you can't get in to park.  Obviously more control would mean charges so it just seems a shame that the people leaving their cars their for months are in the end ruining it for everyone.  We have several friends who have cars here at their holiday homes and who simply arrange for someone to drive the car to the airport when they arrive and then take it back to their house at the end of their stay.  Not too difficult to organise and much nicer for everyone else.

Maggi

Toulouse airport has quite  reasonable monthly and annual charges at one of their parking sites .  I used it for 2 weeks and it didn't break the bank.  I think it is P5.  You can find the charges on the internet .  A friend has also told me that Pau is cheaper ...around 300-400?? euros a year.  He parks there as his place is not close to any transport system and it allows him to pop down to his place at any time. 

Hope this helps.

Coral  - nearly in Ariege 

[quote user="Boatyard"]You should be thankfull it is free, or do you wish it to become like the UK[/quote]

Bit confussed by your reply! Why should I be thankful it is free? If I want to pick someone up and cannot park at the Airport due to inconsiderate parking would it not be sensible to charge for a short stay area where I could park to pick up my elderly parents.

Why would this make it "become like the UK"? It would be an advantage. 

There again, why pay for a short-term stay?  Why not have a more secure area (so that windows don't get broken) for the long-stay people and have parking free for the first month and paying thereafter.  I'd be happy to pay to know that my car was going to be safe it was going to be there, unattended, for months at a time.

Cerise wrote

"We have several friends who have cars here at their holiday homes and who simply arrange for someone to drive the car to the airport when they arrive and then take it back to their house at the end of their stay.  Not too difficult to organise and much nicer for everyone else."

Maggi

that would depend on where you live relative to the airport.  For us it is a 4 hour round trip to the nearest airport, so expecting others to pop round to pick you up is being a bit presumptious.

[quote user="Apero"]

Bit confussed by your reply! Why should I be thankful it is free? If I want to pick someone up and cannot park at the Airport due to inconsiderate parking would it not be sensible to charge for a short stay area where I could park to pick up my elderly parents.

Why would this make it "become like the UK"? It would be an advantage. 

[/quote]

Apero why do you want to pay for the privilege of picking up passengers. would it not be better if you had a designated area, also a time limit perhaps with a ticket. This at the present time could leave plenty of space for those who leave their cars for longer periods.Once a charge is made up up and away will go the price.That is why it will become like the uk. 

[quote user="Boatyard"]Apero why do you want to pay for the privilege of picking up passengers.[/quote]

Didn't know it was a priviledge to collect passengers? Priviledge also means advantage, to get closer to the terminal when dropping/collecting relatives. Should I have to pay in order to do so I wouldn't mind.

Agree with your idea in principal, however, who would police it?  would you agree it would get abused? and how would it be funded?

I do feel, in the not to distant future, there will be a parking charge introduced for all.

Interesting debate!

Regards

Sorry for adding to thread diversion. Perhaps start another thread?