Sick pay whilst employed

kj

hi,

can anybody give me some advice about being employed in France. I have been employed with a french building firm for the last 4 months in France and previous to that I was registered as a micro.I recently had an accident at home and have been off work  for two weeks so far,today my wife went to the cpam with the paperwork from the doctor and to check that they knew I was employed now and not working under the micro system.They told my wife that I am possibly only going to recieve half my normal wages and the rest may be covered under my top up assurance. First of all is it normal only to recieve half of your wages and if so how on earth do you pay a mortgage and survive at the same time. My wife and I both talk french and have always tried to do things the french way and understand how things work in France but now and again feel that the more you try and intergrate and understand the more confusing it all seems. I would ask my boss this but he is away at the moment.To make it more confusing somebody was off sick about two months ago and I asked then if you go sick do you recieve full pay and my workmates all said yes.

Does this make sense to anyone? If so I would be extremely grateful for some advice.

many thanks

Steve

I would have thought that you should receive your full pay less the payments that the CPAM will make to you, personally I don't know of one employer that doesn't do this, but it could depend on time worked with a company, perhaps?  And maybe some trades have different regimes too,  this should all be in your contract anyway, I would have thought.

Most of the companies I know only will pay full pay for up to three months and then their employees are on half pay. That is why the mortgage insurances kick in after three months. Also where my husband works, this three months time off counts for all the time a person has off within the previous 18 months, so, say he was  off now for 6 weeks and then off in another year for 8 weeks, he would be on half pay after only six weeks of his second illness.

Incidentally accidents at work are under a different regime completely  and nothing to do with the above things.

Also if you had an accident then you should have reported it to your insurance company within 48 hours, or whatever their rules say. I have no idea as to whether they will be interested in your declaring something weeks after the event. My husband had a sports accident a few years ago and our normal insurance (not the mortgage insurance)  made up the difference between what he would have earned and what he picked up. Our mutualist was not involved in this topping up process, although I never asked if they should/could be. 

Many thanks for the quick response, the accident happened to me at home, wasnt sure wether it would make a difference. The company is a building company and I know my employers pay some sort of insurance,would that mean the cpam pay half  and the insurance that my employers pay would cover the rest because I know when the other person was ill the patron definatly didnt want him to rush back untill he was completely fit,and this would explain why when I asked my workmates they said the wages were exactly the same if you were of sick.

Regards

Steve

If that is the way it works in the building industry. Some one mentioned recently that holiday pay was a bit different in that industry too.

Accidents at home should still be reported to your own insurance company and pretty quickly. One should do it in case the CPAM want to charge them for your medical costs. The forms you send in to the CPAM do ask if it was an accident, and I have always assumed that the CPAM can reclaim our medical costs from our insurers if they want to.