Moving to France on your own

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has moved to France on their own - especially if they're female, in their 60's and retired!!!  Everyone I talk to about such a move seems to suggest that France is such a family-oriented place that anyone who is going there on their own is going to be really out of it!! I'm prepared to take that risk - but I'd love to hear if anyone has coped and survived all those harbingers of doom!!

Cheers

swink

I would hate it. In fact I would hate to be a woman alone in France. I don't even know where I would chose to live where I could imagine it being easier to establish a good social life, which is what I would be after. And yet some posters have done this successfully and are happy with their move so there you go.

Hi,

I am 59 in August and am convinced that moving to France is right for me. For various reasons, less expensive housing for a start, weather (I am hoping to move to the Vendee) and general peace of mind. I have no real reason to stay in UK and feel a challenge would be just the right thing at this point in my life. Some one once said the only risk in life is not taking one! Perhaps he/she was right. As someone who doesn't want a 'social' scene full time, I hope I can integrate and make friends be they French or English. Good Luck to you, keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Sandra

Hi

I'm moving to France at the end of June and am in a very similar situation to Sandra - I'll be 60 in January and female.  Also moving to the Vendee.  The last time I was there (last month) I heard of another lady of similar age who had done it on her own.  Even though I have children and grandchildren in the UK I have always wanted to live in France.  I've spent quite a lot of time there starting as an au pair aged 17! I don't want to reach my 80s and regret I hadn't done it.

I'm now in a position to make the move and even though my friends think I'm either mad or brave I can't wait.  All the stuff of registering my car, sorting out internet connection, etc is a challenge but with all the help of forums like this not too difficult.

Do more ladies than men in this age group make the move on their own?

Hi Cal,

It's so good to know that there are more people than you think making this move alone. And why not? I moved 40  miles from my roots 2 years ago and wished I hadn't bothered, but gone straight to France instead. I think most people would be deemed mad or stupid but like you I don't wish to reach 70 and think' I wish I had done it' . Where in the Vendee are you going? I am over there from 13th to 20th May to do a scouting mission to see if the area is as lovely as ex pats make out. As I said on my earlier posting, keep in touch and let me know how you get on. Oh and the very best of luck to you, perhaps see you soon?

Sandra