question for the ebayers?

shimble

Hi

I guess it comes down to what is reasonable, a few sales here and there are perfectly ok, if it could be considered an income earning exercise then you should register.

If I recall correctly, a stolen item turned up on ebay, the guy selling it, a brit, was unaware of its origins but was later fined, I think it was 5000 euros for not declaring his ebay income.

so for example how would 5000 euros per annum be considered ? i presume submitting this amount on my declaration de revenue will make me liable to being taxed on the revenue as a particulier or would i be considered as having some sort of business and thus beliable to registera business and all that entails

The French regulations regard selling through Ebay as being the same as any other commercial enterprise. If you habitually sell things through Ebay with the intention of making a profit then you should be registered with all the appropriate bodies, Chambre of Commerce, social charges etc. The tests to apply include the frequency of sales, are goods bought or made for sale, is the intention to make a profit, or is it just a case of selling personal belongings.

Its the same approach as with Brocantes You can have a couple of goes a year to sell off your own tat, but if you start buying and selling then you have to be registered.

5000 would probably count as as a highly successful  new business in France [:)]

try living on 5000 euros a year minus charges i thought i understood for instance you are allowed to sell up to 5 cars per year before it is classed as a business this could easily reach over 5000 euros per annum but yes it would be personal items and i wasnt considering buying and selling as a business plan so if i put your reasoning into the equation maybe ill try and sell some of my bordel thanks

The French authorities have already acted on one private seller I think in the Lille area but I might be wrong (it was in a local paper some time ago) he had not made many sales (I think from memory 12) and he argued unsuccesfully that they were all private goods.

I think that he was prosecuted under the same legislation that allows you to trade once at your local brocante/rederie and possibly one other in the commune per year.

Again only from memory he was fined and treated as a trader in terms of taxes and cotisations on the income.

I would recommend that you seek definitive advice before trading from France.

The 5 cars a year thing is that a French or British rumour?