What are GCSEs and Alevels

Tillergirl

I have registered with Assedic and the ANPE and now just need to get my CV converted but no-one I have spoken to yet knows what the GCSEs or Alevels are in french for the CV. I have found a job I wish to apply for that was posted on ANPE yesterday and it requires CV to be taken so this is quite important.

I have GCSE English B&C  (Bfor speaking and Listening C for written)

Maths C

German C

Geography C

Drama B

and double science D design and tecnology D english lit D

Alevel Law D

Thanks in advance

The nearest to GCSE's I suppose is the Brevêt taken at college at 15/16 for entry to Lycée but its not held in such a great esteem as many still go on without passing it.The BEP and CAP are a lower form of the BAC which is probably more superior to A levels especially a professional one and the BTS is equivalent to an HND. My daughter also has a licence professionelle which is a degree level. I am sure a teacher in France onthis forum will correct me if I am wrong.

Hi Tillergirl,

I don't think it's usual to find GCSEs or O'levels on a CV. Just put Equivalence baccalaureat (sorry no accents) for your A level - you can mention the subject in brackets. Don't put the grades you got, just that you have the qualification. The simpler the better. I was allocated an ANPE advisor before I got my job and he approved my CV too, so if you want me to email you a copy as a guide, send me a pm.

Keep the CV simple and spend your time on a lettre de motivation if it's requested (hand-written). Above all, try and actually meet the person - find out where the office is and go in, even without an appointment. It is so easy to get 'sifted' through the paperwork, especially if you have never worked in France before. It is making a personal impression that counts, in my experience. I applied on-line via ANPE for a post and was automatically refused because I had no experience (the ad stated no experience was necessary). I subsequently found out where the job was, went in armed with my CV and letter and got the job, so good luck and keep at it!

Jane