Hiring out bikes

Le_Jars

We're thinking of hiring bikes to tourists as a business. Since the local bike hire place stopped trading (it was his only income) there is a gap in the market here and there is a real need for them over the summer. We will not be relying on this as our main income, it would supplement our other ventures, but has anyone had any real experience of doing this? Are there any obvious pitfalls we should be wary of, insurance maybe? Also has anyone bought bikes in numbers (20+) from a supplier?

Many thanks for any input.  :)

Try talking to a bike shop or even a bike hire business in another area.  It's probably best to pick the brains of people who are in the business.  I think it sounds a great idea - we have hired bikes several times when on holiday.

[quote user="Le_Jars"]Yes, talking to the chap who used to do it is probably the best idea, but he could be a bit.....er...sensitive about it! No harm in asking him about stuff though I suppose.

[/quote]

He may even have some bikes to dispose of.

Its not quite the same, but I run gites. After numerous demands from guests about hiring bikes we stocked up a few. They are mostly 100€ mountin bikes from the supermarkets, which I bought piecemeal over a period of time. Keeping them all from the same maker means very easy parts interchangeability etc, but their quality isnt great. Chrome is rusting and gear levers fail quite regularly.

Anyway, no idea about the legalities etc, as we dont charge for their use. Seemingly if we did charge, we would become responsible and have to be properly insured and take full responsibility, but as things stand, we just lend them out, avoiding all that.

PS. cheapest 26" inner tubes I can find come from Intersport. I had to buy 8 the last time I was there!

[quote user="Le_Jars"]We're thinking of hiring bikes to tourists as a business...... but has anyone had any real experience of doing this? Are there any obvious pitfalls we should be wary of, insurance maybe? Also has anyone bought bikes in numbers (20+) from a supplier?[/quote]

Le_Jars

Whilst I personally have no experience of this business, a very good friend of mine runs just such an operation.

Here is a link to his website.  If you are not in the same area, I'm sure he would not mind answering a few questions.[:D]

http://www.mellowvelos.com/index.html

Hope this helps.