Changes to setting up new business

n11xxy

Hi,

I am just asking for some advice, we have just today returned from france where we have signed for a property (in the sarthe region of Pays de la Loire) We are going to be living in France permanantly. In the Uk I am a time served joiner/carpenter and have had my own business for 20 yrs We are now a family business doing all building works from groundworks and foundations to internal finishings, so we offer the complete building works, both to new build housing and to renovations.

While over signing for the house we spoke to quite a few people regarding registering my business over in France, and was told that if I can hold on till January 2009 that the tax lawa are changing to make it easier to set up a business, and that tax/social payments will be made on monthly earnings rather than up front. I can hold off till january as I have plenty on the property I want to do, so that would keep me out of trouble for a few months.

Could anyone shed some light on this and if there is any truth to this? and explain in lay-man terms!! I'm great with my hands but hopless with paper work - hence my wife doing all my books accounts etc so straight forward details appreciated. We are due to move over middle of october, but, will be going back in couple of weeks to have another look over the house and take some proper dimensions

Many thanks

Mark

This has been covered in other topics. I think you are referring to the the 'autoentrepreneur' regime. Rather than repeating everything, I think you will find that a search on 'autoentrepreneur' will provide more information.

There's some discussion of it in second part of this thread:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1338994/ShowPost.aspx

Essentially it will be for sole traders with no employees, with certain limits on turnover. It should be a good way of getting started, but if you plan on having a sizeable business you'll still need to register in the traditional way and use an accountant -- french business taxation is not something to take lightly.

I haven't seen a detailed explanation of the new rules in English yet.

New 'auto-entrepreneur' status

I have just received - thanks to help from a Forum member - a copy of the Government's 'kit' outlining the proposed new status applicable from 01 January 2009. Over 11 pages it says nothing that's not already in the various press releases issued and summarised on this forum, though it does give examples of the simplified form of notification of the start of the new enterprise (as well as one for its closure). The document also stresses that it is provisional, depending on final confirmation of the enabling legislation, so it might be best to hang on till the definitive version is available, hopefully before the end of the year.

The good news is there are no radical changes to what has already been announced, so it looks as though it might be a go-er.

P-D de Rouffignac

Just wanted to say thank you, P-D.  I now have an interest in this because my OH has been asked to be involved professionally in a local biggish project.

We thought we'd come here to retire but I reckon it would do him good to have something to occupy his time other than the dog and the garden!

Thank you for your help, I think it is going to be worth my while waiting, besides I want to renovate the barn and 2 bedroom cottage as gites before I need to worry about registering and getting work in.

thanks again

Mark

• 4 weeks later...