New Build Question

Does a house build with a habitable area of 181 square metres require an architect to oversee its construction (legally) and if so what percentage is his fee and is it included in the building companies costs or billed separately?

Yes.

Negotiable (depending totally on what they're going to do, ranging from just drawing up the plans, to a full project mgt job).

Separately. (my advice would be a negotiated fixed price, because if then you overspend, as you inevitably will, you're not in to a % of your overspend).

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

Yes.

Negotiable (depending totally on what they're going to do, ranging from just drawing up the plans, to a full project mgt job).

Separately. (my advice would be a negotiated fixed price, because if then you overspend, as you inevitably will, you're not in to a % of your overspend).

[/quote]

So the architect does more than just the drawings when the size is over 170 sq M. I always new there was limit on size (just couldn't remember the size) after after which you needed drawing from an architect but I was unsure about the legal requirment for him to oversee the project. Any ideas as to what would be considered a reasonable price or percentage on a new build?

The only requirement is that an architect sign off the plans; they don't have to be involved in the construction work.

For a start you need to be sure that your house will be bigger than 170 sq m. This link may help.

http://www.mairie-penestin.com/pages/muni/administratif.htm#permis

It's got a diagram showing what does & doesn't count towards the SHON (habitable area). For many people the fact that the garage doesn't count may tip the balance. Also the 1.8 metre height limit. Then there's a 5% allowance but I'm a bit vaguer about that.

Finally, you may find that les Castors (the main French self-build association) could be worth investigating.

http://www.castorsouest.fr/les-castors/france.php

Apart from technical advice and discounted materials they offer a plan drawing service, with architects where required:

Plans

Nos dessinateurs sont à l’écoute des demandes des adhérents.

Après un entretien approfondi, notre technicien dessinateur réalise un avant-projet personnalisé, prenant en compte les besoins et souhaits exprimés par l’adhérent, ainsi que son budget. Après validation, il réalise les plans pour le dépôt du dossier de permis de construire.

Pour les projets de plus de 170 m2 de surface hors œuvre nette, conformément à la réglementation, les plans sont réalisés par un architecte.