Working in France with a Criminal Record

Dawn Barry

Can anyone tell me if a Plumber, (now living in the Dordogne area) who has been bankrupt 3 times in the UK and has just been forced to return to the UK to face trial for Obtaining credit by deception, and received an 18month suspended sentence, can legally work in France? He has applied for and been granted permission to work in France. I would be grateful for any advice, as I was one of his victims.

[quote user="Dawn Barry"]

Can anyone tell me if a Plumber, (now living in the Dordogne area) who has been bankrupt 3 times in the UK and has just been forced to return to the UK to face trial for Obtaining credit by deception, and received an 18month suspended sentence, can legally work in France? He has applied for and been granted permission to work in France. I would be grateful for any advice, as I was one of his victims.

[/quote]

Hi Dawn , really sorry to hear that you have been a victim.

On the face of it ,you seem to have answered your own question.

Perhaps you need to elaborate to generate a flow of advice from decent forum members.

Kind regards,

Leo

Oh sorry Leo.... I'm new to this sort of thing!

As I understand it... he went court today and was given the suspended sentence because he now lives in France, otherwise he would have had to serve the time ....But he told the court he has no money and is living with a friend until he gets on his feet, in fact he is working and paying rent for his accomodation...he has applied for and received a "Sarlat" (is that the right word?) number and is working legally... Added to that is the fact that  his wife has received an inheritance of around £20,000 which he has not declared, I'm just really peed off that he has got away with this debt and left me on the verge of bankruptcy...

Have I elaborated better??? lol

Thanks for taking the time to answer me.. I have no idea about these forums cause I have never gone onto one before so I apologise if I'm not doing it right.

Dawn

I'm in the UK.... You might be right about his wife's inheritance, I thought it would have been treated as a joint asset.

He was brankrupt on 2 occasions prior to my dealings with him, and then went bankrupt after obtaining credit from me for goods.

I don't think there is anything I can do now he is in France, I'm just very cross!

Thanks again.

Dawn

When you apply to become an Artisan (tradesman) in France, one of the forms you sign specifically asks if you have a criminal record (anywhere), whilst there are exceptions, anything that would normally attract a sentence of 6 months must be declared. If they don't, then they have commited a specific offence in France. I suspect that this is what Tony is alluding to.

It is unlikely that an inheritance would be considered a joint asset (in these circumstances).

[quote user="Dawn Barry"]

I'm in the UK.... You might be right about his wife's inheritance, I thought it would have been treated as a joint asset.

He was bankrupt on 2 occasions prior to my dealings with him, and then went bankrupt after obtaining credit from me for goods.

I don't think there is anything I can do now he is in France, I'm just very cross!

Thanks again.

Dawn

[/quote]

Is there anything you could have done had he remained in the UK - if he has acted illegally in obtaining credit surely that was a separate police matter ?

I did hear that in the case of a divorce, money inherited can sometimes be treated as a joint asset but having known someone teetering on the edge of bankruptcy at one stage, I had the impression that the wife's assets remain hers.

One of the stupid things seems to be that in some circumstances you can go bankrupt one day and start trading again under a different name the next. Very frustrating for those who lose out in the wake. You have my sympathy.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

One of the stupid things seems to be that in some circumstances you can go bankrupt one day and start trading again under a different name the next. Very frustrating for those who lose out in the wake.

[/quote]

No, Gay, you are confusing personal bankruptcy with the demise of a ltd co, a separate legal entity. A current example being a wedding gift company (Wrapit ?) where the directors have started a new business, doing the same thing from the same place.

John

I don't think I'm confused, the OP hasn't mentioned whether the plumber was personally bankrupt or a Ltd  Company. It wasn't so long ago that Mr Brown in his wisdom made it advantageous for quite small enterprises to become a Ltd company, I know, we did it. (luckily not bankrupt though)

If the money that the guy's wife had was indeed a joint asset, as personal assets can be attacked in bankruptcy cases, I'm surprised that didn't get included in his asset statement - perhaps it came afterwards.

The fact that this guy is now in France doesn't mean he's escaped his debts.  As people have posted here recently, bad payers and people with judgements against them can be pursued in France now by debt collectors.

What worries me is that this guy may be plying his trade and stealing here also - asking for money up front perhaps and then perhaps not doing work, running up debts here and welshing on the payments etc - and if he's in my area, I'd really like to make sure that people locally know of his 'pedigree' and that any dealings with him and perhaps his family, are regarded sceptically.

I don't want to kick him whilst he's down but if this guy is a serial welsher and sort of has a habit of bunking off his debts and has a/more than one criminal conviction for money related criminal activites, it would be useful for people to know who he is.

It's pointless telling us all that this guy is here and then not giving more details - I know of three Uk plumbers in this area and one has certainly got a very chequered financial background - unless the OP can at least tell us in private who this guy is or point to a link to a newspaper report of the court case in which he was convicted, it's a bit pointless posting the original message.

Hi Nick... and everyone else who has kindly taken the time to comment on my question.

I apologise for the delay in replying but I have had to get a second job to make ends meet, thanks to him, therefore I'm not able to get online as much.

In answer to your question... Unfortunately, he moved to France last year, probably knowing that this court case was pending, he cleverly applied for and was granted a licence to work when he did not have a criminal record, so I suppose he is in the clear.  Unless he has to inform the French Government of any changes ?

I have to say, I am so impressed by the number of people who have sent comments... thank you all for your interest...

PS I spoke today to someone else who suffered financial problems with him, and they are struggling to survive, as he conned them out of £6000.00

Dawn

Hi Nick....

Not sure what happened last night because I sent a reply to your message but it dosen't seem to have been posted,  I will try again ...

I wanted to thank everyone of you who have taken the time to answer my questions...and apologise for the delay in getting back to you all but I have had to get a second job to make ends meet, thanks to him! and therefore I don't get on line as much.

In answer to your question Nick, unfortunately he moved to France last year, probably knowing that this Court case was pending, he cleverly applied for and was granted a licence to work when he did not have a criminal record, so, I suppose he is in the clear?

Do you think he is getting much work in France? because it would please me no end if he was struggling as much as I am!

Thanks again

Dawn