Auto Entrepreneur - working in UK

oldgit72

Moh has, up to now, been working ad-hoc in the UK on a self employed basis as a freelance trainer/life coach and for the last 12 months we have gained healthcare on a workers E106 basis. By it's nature, availability of work is irregular and there can be longish periods of inactivity. We have just applied for next years E106 and noticed that the form has changed to include questions such as "number of days per week spent working in the UK" leading us to suspect that they may be tightening up the rules on getting health cover via this route. As an alternative to workers E106, I am thinking of the possibility of registering moh's business in France via the AE route. Can anyone advise if this is possible given that all work undertaken will be performed in the UK?

I have a workers E106, renewed it only last month (3rd renewal), and did not notice anything different on the form ?

Actually I'm a bit surprised that your OH qualified for one, being freelance and self employed that is, although I think there may be a partial entitlement for one year. Maybe this is where the form difference has come in.

As for your AE question I don't know the answer but on the basis that some are working under AE providing such things as web design etc. to international clients I don't see why actually physically working outside France would necessarily be regarded differently.

[quote user="AnOther"]I have a workers E106, renewed it only last month (3rd renewal), and did not notice anything different on the form ?

Actually I'm a bit surprised that your OH qualified for one, being freelance and self employed that is, although I think there may be a partial entitlement for one year. Maybe this is where the form difference has come in.

As for your AE question I don't know the answer but on the basis that some are working under AE providing such things as web design etc. to international clients I don't see why actually physically working outside France would necessarily be regarded differently.

[/quote]

The form we completed this year was CA8454 HMRC04/09 here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ca8454.pdf

Last years version (CA8454 HMRC10/07) did not have questions such as 'how often do you return to the UK?,how long do these visits last and are they for business or pleasure?". Maybe I'm being over cynical but whenever changes on forms, (particularly government forms) appear I try to read between the lines and think of the reason they want the information.