Massage therapist in France

jimmyc

Hi,

My wife is an ITEC qualified massage therapist in sports massage,

aromatherapy. lymphatic drainage, holistic and reikei. We are trying to

find out how she can practice in the Limousin as we are considering

moving within the next few months. She has tried the French Embassy here

in london and they have been unhelpful with contacts and advice. It was her understanding that ITEC is accepted throughout europe but we would like to know the finer points in France.

Thanks

Just looking at the ITEC website... It says that "ITEC is an international examination board, operating in over 33 countries worldwide offering a variety of qualifications', but I cannot see France listed...

Broadly speaking, compared to most other European countries, France is way behind as far as these types of therapeutic massages is concerned.

In France, therapeutic massage is regulated, as it is seen as a medical practice. As such and strictly speaking, the practician should hold a diploma of kinésithérapeute (or recognised equivalent).

In practice, there is a great deal of tolerance and your wife should be able to offer the services you describe, although obtaining insurance cover could be one hurdle.

You might find some useful info here.

France is keen on a certain type of therapie which name I have forgotten. It involves resolving problems with the back. The therapie involves lots of needles and water - its not accupuncture but similar. Some of French friends swear by it and my husband had some of this treatment and it didnt work! I watched the whole thing and was not convinced either.

Anyone know what is called.

Would be surprised if this was considered a regulated science/therapie!

A friend is a qualifed in aromatherapy and Swedish massage as well as being a SRN. She wants to set up a therapy business here and has been told she can advertise as providing "Bien-être". If you Google that there is lots of information.