Setting yourself up as a Psychtherapist/Psychologist

Suzanne

I think that you would need to seriously check that one out with the Ministry of Health in Paris, as I believe that it has been brought under State regulation and would require your qualifications to be approved for equivalence if they were not obtained via the French State, as it is considered to be medical.

Anything that directly relates to health, physical or mental, in France is regulated by the State.

Chris

• 1 month later...

I am planning on setting up a practice in the Gers, I am a  UK chartered psychologist.  The local office of URSAFF seemed to think it was possible their main interest is how I would pay my social charges.  I would register as a profession liberale.  Let me know if you find any problems.  Which area are you in?  

Christine

Be more than a little bit careful with what URSAFF say, or for that matter register you to do, always check with the actual authority that is legally in charge of an activity, in this case, Health.

To date, I know of 5 Brits who have been registered by URSSAF for an activity and have subsequently been prosecuted for performing an activity without the required French authority and qualifications, the fact that they were registered and had their Siret made no difference.

This is very shaky ground and you really should check with the Ministry in Paris if you have equivalence.

Chris

I agree with Chris - it's best to check with the Ministre de la Santé in Paris before getting to far into this.  I'm not sure if psychology falls under the medical profession or not, but it's worth checking out as they don't accept very many foreign credentials in this domain.  Many foreign doctors were just on strike because of this (ie. the fact that they are not allowed to practice here).  I am also in the medical field and found out my own diploma is worth nothing here and that if I ever wanted to practice in France, I'd have to redo everything and pass the French exam.  Either way, to practice legally, you will need to have the approval of the proper French authority, and not just URSAFF.

• 3 weeks later...

I am an occupational therapist setting up as a 'liberale' in January 2007 in Charente Maritime. I got my French state registered via my 'Direction Departmentale des Affaires Sanitaire et Sociale'.  They supplied me with a list of documentation requirements.  Once all my documents were translated they issued me with my ADELI number.  I found that using the local route enabled me to meet with the people responsible for ensuring my registration, clarify any points quickly, and meet French colleagues in a variety of settings.  Good luck with your registration. John ewens

• 8 years later...
Hello,

I know I'm coming a bit late to this conversation, but it would be great to hear from any of those looking into this how it worked out for you in the end. Were you able to obtain a french diploma equivalent?

Also, if you have any further information which was key in enabling you to set up practice in France I would love to hear that too!

Thank you!!

Flower, do not hold your breath hoping to get a reply - none who originally replied have been on this forum for years.

The resurrection of old threads though does bring up memories of people who no longer post.

I know of someone in Mielan 32 who has done that - in the last few years. I think she has mainly English clients, but have no idea how she did it or how busy she is.

I'll try to find out her details an let you know by pm. Could be next week.