electrics in VERY dodgey state

0001helen

I have found a house for my Father who is new to living in France. I think the house was previously let to tennants and goodness knows what happened between them and the owner but prior to leaving they removed all the sockets and electrical fittings (for example removing lights and cutting the wires so they are left almost too short to rewire anything to). However I've been told that the house probably doesn't need a rewire, just a new 'consumer box'.

In cases where the electrics are not up to standard i wondered if the EDF can connect a temporary supply to enable power tools etc to work in order to 'camp' in the house while things are repaired? Having said this, can anyone recommend a good and reasonably price electrician in the DOrdogne?

>In cases where the electrics are
>not up to standard i
>wondered if the EDF can
>connect a temporary supply to
>enable power tools etc to
>work in order to 'camp'
>in the house while things
>are repaired?

Yes this is possible, you need to ask the EDF for an "alimentation provisoire" or "alimentation chantier".

If you aqlready have a working meter and supply from the EDF then the above is not required. In this case I would advise you to disconnect the whole existing installation and just connect up your own tempoary fuseboard with a couple of sockets attached and a interupteur differentielle, then you can work safely. Unfortunately you are to far away for us to help but any electrician should be able to organise this quite simply.

Regards,

Paul

If you were told by the seller/agent that that is what happened then so be it, however, a word of warning, this is exactly what an electrician would do if told to by EDF until a rewire is carried out for safety reasons, I hope the former applies to your house and I hope you are not put off but I thought I should mention it,good luck.