pirana pine steps

roger taylor

A while back I asked for suggestions on how to make my concrete stairs more attractive. They are the worst feature of the house and although not visible to anyone but us are cold and unattractive. I thought of covering the steps (Marches) and the risers (contre-marches) with pine but could not find a supplier selling wide enough planks in the Bressuire 79 area, even my woodworking neighbour had no ideas. Back in the UK I looked for staircase timber but again the only planks wide enough were in B&Q and very expensive. I finally had an idea, window bottoms (windows sills to the un-initiated) So I have bought 13 metres of pirana pine which I intend to cut to size and glue to the concrete with "no-nails"

Unless that is someone has any different ideas.

Roger

pirana pine has no knots and seems very stable, no visible shakes unlike knotty pine.

If the timber is over 25mm thick it should not curl but unless you lift the floor levels by the same thickness you will end up with a higher riser at the bottom step and smaller at the top which will make it unconfortable to walk up and down