Converting gas cooker to bottled gas

Magie2

Can anyone advise whether an English mains gas cooker can be converted to bottled gas? Is it just a question of converting the gas jets and if so, what sort of shop do we buy them from (France) and do they need to be fitted by a professional?

Thanks for your help.

Magie (79)

I think you will find that Calor are the only company who will provide english cookers for use with Butane in France. Our friends here went to the UK and bought one back with the additional fittings for conversion to Butane which my husband did for them. As for other makes, they will not commit themselves to products being used other than what they are designed for as I contacted Cannon some years back about bringing our very expensive hob and oven over and they said it could not be converted.

• 4 weeks later...
Calor gas recommend that the following manufactureres produce cookers for bottled gas or supply simple conversion kits:
Belling; Cannon; Electrolux inc Parkinson Cowan; Leisure (sold; produced Beko & Rangemaster).

If you can get hold of the little gas jets it is a very simple job to fit the to the "Table" the top of the stove, but we had to take the complete back off the cooker to get at the grill and the oven. The cooker a Sauter was bought in France at Conforama a very good price, and the salesman said the technician woiuld come out the next day to fit the jets for Butane, but we couldn't wait and my husband did the job. The instructions were easy, each jet had a specific number and a key was provided with a measurement to give the exact amount to tighten.