Who knows about heating.................

moley

I have been searching with great interest through this topic an have answered so many of my questions - Thank you!! However, we are in the process of putting our 'fermette' in order and really do not know what to do about the heating. We have an odd assortment of electic heaters which seem to send the electric meter into a wild frenzy when switched on. We know that at a cost it is possible to install central heating using oil , but does anyone have first hand experience? Would it pay us to update to modern elecric heaters which would certainly be cheaper to install, but possibly a lot more to run? Any help greatly appreciated. We are going to be in 23, any central heating engineers out there??

Jill

I`m sure someone with a better knowledge of heating will help but in my limited knowledge we found that Oil is more econmical on running costs but more expensive to install. From the archives , I think I found out it costs about 4-6000 to install with radiators. Someone will correct me if I`m wrong.

Regards
Ronni

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Jill

We install central heating, gas and oil. Unless you have "town" gas oil is cheaper bcause tanker gas is quite expensive. At the side of electricity the higher installation cost of oil takes a few years to pay back when compared with electricity but many prefer the heat that a water system provides rather than the electric radiators.

New electric radiators or convectors will cost about the same to run as the old ones so you can still have fun watching the meter going round.

I would suggest that if you are going to use your French home for holidays then electric heating is the answer, if for longer periods during the winter months then oil. Remember that if you are in an area liable to frosts then if the house is left empty for a long period there is a risk of freezing of any water based system. This can be protected by frost stats etc. but it does rely on your system working automatically whilst you are absent from the house.

CHRIS

>I have been searching with great
>interest through this topic an
>have answered so many of
>my questions - Thank you!!
>However, we are in the
>process of putting our 'fermette'
>in order and really do
>not know what to do
>about the heating. We have
>an odd assortment of electic
>heaters which seem to send
>the electric meter into a
>wild frenzy when switched on.
>We know that at a
>cost it is possible to
>install central heating using oil
>, but does anyone have
>first hand experience? Would it
>pay us to update to
>modern elecric heaters which would
>certainly be cheaper to install,
>but possibly a lot more
>to run? Any help greatly
>appreciated. We are going
>to be in 23, any
>central heating engineers out there??
>
>
>Jill

Go Solar !!! We're on border of 23 and 36 and will be installing our underfloor water fed heating and hot water solar system in the next few weeks.
Not huge amounts more than oil would be, good for the environment and will pay for itself in a few years and hardly any bills again except if we have very very bad winters.

Hi MOLEY
WE ARE IN DEPT 23 (NR AIGURANDE) AND LIKE YOU AT THIS TIME IN OUR
LIVES WE USE OUR PLACE FOR THE HOLIDAYS AND AS I TOOK MY EARLY RETIRING, I GO AS MUCH AS I CAN IN THE YEAR,
SO WE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU BUT AS WE ARE THREE AND A HALF MILES FROM AIGURANDE AND IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COUNTRYSIDE WE,VE NO CHANCE OF GAS HEATING.
WE,VE HAD OIL FULL CENTRIAL HEATING WITH A WOODBURNING STOVE AS A SEPERATE FORM OF HEAT.
WE FOUND THE STOVE IS NICE AND COSY AND IT HELPS A LOT TO KEEP THE FUEL BILLS DOWN,
HOPE THIS HAS HELPED. LET US KNOW WHEN YOUR NEXT IN DEPT 23 AND WE'LL HAVE A DRINK AND A CHAT

REGARDS DANNY
PS WE KNOW OF A FIRST CLASS FRENCH HEATING ENGINEER IF NEEDED,
HE IS GOOD AND HAS BEEN TRADING IN THIS AREA FOR MANY YEARS.