Orbital Sander in hand luggage at Stansted?

joidevie

I came back through Limoges (Bryan- air ) this morning with a roll of wallpaper ( ran out with 1 drop to do, always the way ) and exhaust pipe clamps and brackets in my hand luggage. The bag went back in again and stayed in the machine for a few seconds but I wasn't asked to open it.

Mind you it would take a lot to club someone to death with a roll of paper

[quote user="John Brown"]Mind you it would take a lot to club someone to death with a roll of paper[/quote]

Clearly you have not seen any of the tough guy or spy movies where a jab in the Adams apple with a rolled up newspaper or magazine can completely cripple an opponent !

Update..

For the benefit of the forum - I did in fact check in a box with the sander (and some other bits) and asked at security at the other side, and they did in fact confirm that the sander would NOT have got through..

It is a "tool" (power) as opposed to say a "stereo" or "Macbook"..

Probably explains why there are no branches of B&Q tax free at the airport...

[quote user="AnOther"]Good call !

I don't think you ever said whether it's a battery or mains job. With a battery the former will always be a 'power tool' but it it really true to call a mains powered item the same ?

[/quote]

It was a brand new boxed Makita mains sander..

Incidentally, it's a damn good one too.. Just sanded the whole hallway in one afternoon, smooth, quiet, and didn't get hot with hours of continuous use..

[quote user="joidevie"]Update..

For the benefit of the forum - I did in fact check in a box with the sander (and some other bits) and asked at security at the other side, and they did in fact confirm that the sander would NOT have got through..

It is a "tool" (power) as opposed to say a "stereo" or "Macbook"..

Probably explains why there are no branches of B&Q tax free at the airport...
[/quote]

That's the thought from the french amoeba is it?

Macbook a tool of the IT industry contains electronics sufficient to possibly interfere with systems on the plane?

Are there any 3 pin sockets on board you could have plugged it into to facilitate you sanding your way through the locked cabin door in just over the hour [:D]  Drills and bits would be a different issue as you could start drilling holes in the fuselage.

Well luckily for me the pool pump is not a tool so I should be fine

• 2 years later...
[quote user="Hoddy"]I wouldn't risk it. It's not on the list of things that are prohibited but I suspect that the person on the gate would be suspicious.

They once stopped me with a metal icing set although they did eventually let me through.

Hoddy[/quote]

I am not at all surprised either!! Icing is one of the things that can bring an aircraft down, especially on the wings. And you kind of icing woudn't have been stoppable by the aircrafts one de-icing systems!! [:-))]

As for the rolled up magazine? He was assisted by a chair at one point too [blink] and getting smacked in the Balericks by anything would likely make yer eyes water some [+o(] let alone a dangerous weapon like a bit of paper. You could also use the edge to inflict painful paper cuts too!

Why oh why do they allow such dangerous stuff on aircraft? Strangulation with a shoe lace! The list is endless init already?