building regs?

Dwebs

There are no building inspectors in France. If they wish to, the local maire may make a visit purely out of interest,but on just an extension of less 170m²,it all comes under the builder's ten year guarantee if there are problems afterwards. You will be contacted by the tax people though regarding the increase on your taxe d'habitation for the extra living space created.

many thanks for the reply, I was begining to get a little worried by this, knowing the french love of paper work & pointless job creation schemes.

I'm aware that there is discussion of a self certification scheme being proposed in UK & presumably the British building inspectors will also become a thing of the past

[quote]we have put the board up, but the new build isn't quite the same as the permission asked for ( actually its completely different but smaller) what's this declaration stuff about? does the builder do ...[/quote]

I don't think you should be changing the plans for your building work to be different from what you submitted and what was passed. If it is very different, you may be made to take it down and do it according to what has already been agreed. All forms need to be submitted by yourself in cases like this.

As Val says when you are granted permission you are given permission to build that which you or your architect described in the application. Nothing more and nothing less. You could be heading for major problems , especially if you have changed the external appearance of the building.

When you  received the approval you wouldl have been sent two sets of forms one to be sent to the Mairie when you start work, and one to be sent when work is completed. Both in triplicate!

Once the work is completed you will be sent a form on which you give all the details of what you have built: areas, type of facilties etc. At this point an external examination of the building may take place, and if the details, postion of the building are not in agreement with the original application, as val says, you may be required to make changes and at worst demolish the entire structure.

I'm worried!! With the keys when I signed the acte de v i received the architect:s plans (approved) of the changes made in '78. Although externally the building conforms, internally it does not, nor do the rooms that were constructed within the atelier.

I want to put a door out of the back of the atelier and I believe I have to get permission - so as I am looking at 26 years should I be bothered?

Comments would be welcome

Coral