approx price of agricultural land / woodland

can anyone give us a vague idea of how much we should think of offering for woodland without a CU (and it won't get one or need one!) in Limousin.

I realise that as with anything else it is worth what someone is prepared to pay, however a ballpark figure would be nice to start negotiations with...

The land in question is supposed to be woodland, measures 9440 m2, and most of the trees were felled after storms 6 or 7 years ago so the value of the wood is negligible. It's on a slope, will never have a CU, and is only accessible by tracks. The mayor says it's worth very little but wouldn't say how much 'very little' is!!

TIA

Somewhere between 2500€ and 3750€ would be the price range for a hectare of woodland I would think, your in Haute Vienne?? Woodand is cheaper than agricultural land, but there is talk of people starting to buy woodland as other fuel prices rise. Not quite sure why you have to make an offer, the person who wants to sell should be naming a price.

Quote "but are you aware that anything you pay for it is tax deductable ( according to our Living & Working In France book ) anyway !" 

Brian, not at all clear what you are saying, I'd like to know more about that.

Chris

Hi Chris

We have a book written by David Hampshire, one of the range of survival books, with the title of "Living and working in France". Under the finance chapter and referring to income tax there is a list of items that can be offset against tax. One of the items is the purchase of forest or woodland! We do not know any more than that.

By the way Chris, are you the same Chris that lives in Civray and is involved with wildlife. If so we are coming to live near you in Mauprevoir in two weeks and we are interested in learning more about the local wildlife.

For instance we have a resident barn owl in a barn in our new property and want to ensure we don't scare him or her off. 

Hi Brian, Guess I'm going to have to put my hands up and plead guilty, I think I may be the person you are referring to, if you would like to be on my "local e-mailing list" for information & activities, just send me an e-mail at the web site [email protected] when you get set up here, or you can always phone.

Nice area around Mauprevoir for bird life, also you may not know it, but the Maire of Mauprevoir is really big on wildlife and the environment, nice bloke, Avocat in Poitiers by way of profession.

Anyway, I know that woodland and forestry has low or zero taxe fonciere, but I will look into the rest.

Talk to you about "your owl" when you are here???

Chris

Hi Hoverfrog,

We're just going through the process of buying some woodland and this is the price we have been quoted.

700 euros per hectare + the value of the wood.

The 1ha 7980 that we are buying comes to 3955 euros including the value of the wood that is due for cutting in 2008.

The owner also had farmland for sale at 3500 euro per hectare.

Hope this is of some help, we are in the Charente.

many thanks for all the replies, now we have some idea of what to start negotiations with!

The woodland in question is not up for sale - we are intending making the owner "an offer he can't refuse" :)

Apparently he is a retired gendarme, who's children have no interest in the area so he has often been heard to say that when he is gone all their property will be sold, so we may be lucky!

I don't suppose anyone knows if woodland has to go through SAFER like agricultural land does ????

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

This is slightly off topic but does anyone know what is involved in owning a small plot of agricultural land in France.We would hope to be able to park on the land in our motorhome for periods of time and live there for three/four months at a time. Do you know if this is legal in France and what sort of taxes etc are involved

stew

Buying a "plot" of agricultural land without a house on it may not be too simple, and then there would be the small matter of keeping it for your use without it being farmed. Pieces of recreational land are available, sometimes with a small hut or chalet, but this type of land is more expensive. Woodland would probably be easier, maybe not much of a view, but you could clear a small area for access and parking.

Parking a motorhome for three or four months at a time wouldn't be an issue IF you can get a piece of land and keep it free. Charges or taxes would be nominal in most cases.

Chris