Bats

Aitch

Does anyone know what, if any protection is offered to bats in France? Are they as protected a species as in the UK. My gardener thinks I might have a nest above the front door but we wont find out until we visit mid-october. I know my wife will go 'ape' at the thought of one. Can anybody offer any solutions or ideas for removal if the report is correct? By the way, I don't want to upset any LF animal lovers (bats don't bother me) so please do not take offence at my question.

Regards,

Aitch 

Bats hate being disturbed and will soon move on to another roost.  Our bats [ and our resident owl] move from building to building as we go about our renovating.  I always put a hat on if I have to pass under as, like mice, they have no bladders.  Caves with large bat colonies can have quite a toxic atmosphere as there is a fine, high ammonia mist in the atmosphere all the time.  It can be lethal to other animals and humans.  Bats can also carry rabies.  In spite of all the drawbacks I would hate to not have bats around. On the positive side they do eat a lot of evening flying insects such as gnats and moths.  Eating moths is a negative - but you can't win them all.

In the UK bats are absolutely protected - it is an offence to interfere with or disturb them in any way. I suspect that will be the position in France too. They are absolutely harmless to humans, unless rabid (very rare) - they cause no problems with buildings and their droppings (mostly the indigestible bits of insects) do no damage. Why do people react so violently towards them?

M

They'll probably go elsewhere for the winter to hibernate. That'll be the time to find out where they're getting into your house, block it off  and then next year they'll find somewhere else to go.

Though personally, I love to sit at dusk and watch them head out for their night on the town.