Removing Wallpaper

pigeonnier

sorry it's not the reply you were perhaps waiting for Janice, but I will shortly have to tackle removing loads of wallpaper from plasterboard walls.  I have never had to do this before (from plasterboard that is), I doubt that I could use a steamer, and would have to be careful with scourer/knife, and excess water. Am I right or being too worried?

Any tips re this greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Bob

Absolutely hours of fun. It all depends on the paper and whether it's been painted or not.

I've used a steamer in the past and it was useless, but then the paper did have a few coats of paint on it. It took days to get off. On other occasions (when we've been lucky) the paper has 'split' leaving a thin water absorbant layer that that easily scrapes off with a broad bladed scraper. Use as much water as you can, if the paper doesn't absorb the water then scratch the paper as much as possible so the water/steam penetrates through to the glue. If you do happen to gouge into the plaster, it is easily filled afterwards.

Cheers

We have done both. We had some old flock wallpaper on three walls of our living room, which we removed with ye olde english method of hot soapy water and scraper. Worked fine, I have used steamers and not been too impressed.

The fourth wall in the living room and the main bedroom were plain paper which we painted over as if it were lining paper without any problem.

Bob

I have done it by hand, so to speak, and with steamer. Steamer is probably quicker, but very, well, steamy.

As to the the mess you make of the walls themselves, it depends what you are going to put on them, and what quality finish you want. 

If you are going to put a textured wallpaper on, you can get away with pretty much anything.

If you just want plain painted walls, but the walls are not brand new, after stripping, if I were you I would fill anything that I could feel if I ran my hand on the wall, because every little nick shows. I would then seal it, with PVA or equivalent, then paint.

If you are going to paint the bare wall, after stripping, if I were you, I would have it skimmed.

tresco

I would definitely recommend using a steamer on old, painted-over or multiple-layer wallpaper, and they really aren't expensive to buy - around £30 in UK, I think. The trick is to score the surface of the paper if it's painted - you can even buy a special tool for that, but a craft knife will do it. Then, start at the bottom, place the steamer panel on the wall and wait a few moment for the steam to do its job. Then just use a broad wallpaper scraper to peel it off. It's messy and sweaty (the room turns into a sauna!), but if you take your time and wait for the steam to work, you can get right down to the plaster without doing any damage. I used it on 100 year old plasterered walls with 6 layers of paper - no problem.

regards,

Malcolm

I own a steamer and have used it successfully on plastered brick/block walls. After one experience with stripping plasterboard I would say that you will have to be very careful not to damage the skim coat. That is why I am painting over vinyl wallpaper at present, with changing colour from very dark blue to a creamy gold making it more difficult. As does the fact that the original artisan who put the paper on was very sparing with paste around all the edges, calling for a lot of fiddly sticking down. 

Mike

Daft as it sounds make sure you get the right steamer. Some people were stripping wallpaper in a neighbour's house recently and I heard they were having problems. It turned out they were using the sort of machine that I think is intended for getting creases out of curtains etc. You need the sort with a flat plate. Use protective gloves the whole thing gets very hot and make sure the water doesn't run dry. I swear by my Earley steamer although I have used wet methods as well, it's probably down to personal preference.

Any wall paper that is sound can be successfully painted.

Liz (29)

[quote]I own a steamer and have used it successfully on plastered brick/block walls. After one experience with stripping plasterboard I would say that you will have to be very careful not to damage the skim ...[/quote]

Hi,

I've been reading through some info on painting over wallpaper, from what I've read it appears that one should not try painting over vinyl paper as it is intended to resist anything sticking to it.

I have no personal experience in this, just what I read as I think the paper in our kitchen is vinyl.  Have you actually painted it yet?

Regards,

Bob