Solar Panels

AEB

Does anyone have experience of installing solar panels?

I am interested in suppliers, information on whether (and how) they are usually installed to generate your own electricity or to obtain credit from the electricity supplier and whether the French government offers grants towards their installation.

Thanks

We're going to install solar panels during the installation of a complete new roof. We understand solar panels can best be used for heating water to a temperature which can then be used - underfloor heating for eg. So that we can understand the options available to us, my other half is enrolled on a solar panel installation course at the Centre for Alternative Technologies in Wales this week so he'll have a lot of information he can pass on when he returns. HWH on Total France has plenty of practical experience though so I agree with Jackie / John - follow the link above.

This might also be a useful link:

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=471

Carole

• 4 weeks later...

We visited our local GITEM today (Eymoutiers, 87) as we'd been told they were running a promotion on solar panels.  We've come away with a leaflet on the De Dietrich systems, an appointment for the guy to come and have a look and do an 'etude' in a few days time, and more importantly, the information that a grant is available of about 1700€ for an installation in the Limousin.  According to the chart we were shown, different regions attract different amounts of aid.  Will let you know how we get on if you're interested.

Jan

Lachouette, we're the other side of St Moreil from Eymoutiers, actually into the SW Corner of the Creuse. We are looking at solar power, both for water and possible for electricity. We'll visit GITEM in October when we're next out there, (we'll have to find it first) but will watch this thread with interest. We re-roof the front (south) half of the barn next Springbank and so would like the info and decisions made by then. Will it need PP??

I posted a few good links for solar engery sites a good few months ago, you may be able to find them in the achive, but i have sinse binned them. A couple of good books on the subject can be had on amazon. The Solar House and a book called something like eco build. I helped my parents do an eco conversion of a barn on there land in cornwall a couple of years ago but when you do your sums you may find a long pay back time regarding instulation costs versus mains power unless you can get a grant or are a long way from mains supply.

Many thanks.  I have discovered from the recommended web sites that there are two options - photo-voltaic panels that generate electricity and solar panels that heat water and can provide some types of heating.  I shall be investigating both further.

AEB 

I too want to look at solar water heating in the future, probably using the Vacuum tube system.

What I want to know is whether anyone has found a firm who will produce a tank with two heat exchanges )one for boiler and one for Solar system.  My understanding is that the excahange for the solar fluid needs to be quite large as the exchange fluid rarely gets hot enough to work as well as the water from a boiler.

Any leads would be much appreciated as I need a tank and I might as well buy one for a little bit more that will enable me retro fit a solar heat exchange.

Stephen (19)

The big energy drain in heating water is getting it from cold through luke warm towards warm, if i can use the sun to get this process going i'll be happy. Expense now may pale into insignificance when we have big power cuts/no power when fossil fuels are long gone

Locally (11) if EDF put in solar power it is usualy because there is no alternative, i.e. you are a good distance from the grid.  Then it is in a unit which is the property of EDF, is locked and you have nothing to do with it, you then receive bills from EDF in the usual way and the cost is no cheaper.

We installed our own solar panel for running cdplayer/laptop/12 volt lighting system all over the barn/outside lights.  One simple small solar panel connected to a 12 volt battery (with inverter) does all this and saves us using the generator.

For hot water we have a 'solar system' with a large radiator painted black, connected to a closed system that also runs through the wood burning stove.  In the summer the sun is sufficient for hot water, in the winter the woodburner heats the water very quickly as it has been preheated by the sun.  No pump involved at all.  The water tank is also equipped with an electric connection for an immersion heater and thermostat for when (if!! long story) we get electricity, but we will not disconnect the Heath Robinson solar system as it will save on electric costs.

[quote]We visited our local GITEM today (Eymoutiers, 87) as we'd been told they were running a promotion on solar panels. We've come away with a leaflet on the De Dietrich systems, an appointment for the gu...[/quote]

Man duly arrived with  pencil & paper, tape measure and compass and we now await a devis.  As someone else suggested, it seems that to get a grant you have to use an approved system and installer.  The man who visited said he did all the paperwork to apply for the grant.  For the Limousin, this amounts to 1750€, plus a tax rebate, if you pay French tax, of an amount that now escapes me.

The system we were shown has 2 options: it either simply heats up water for domestic use and stores it in a tank, or can do that plus top up a heating system too that uses some other fuel to provide the additional heating.  He said that it would work fine in conjunction with oil-fired central heating.

By chance we were speaking to another artisan about the state of our roof, and he had some information about photo-voltaic roof tiles.  He wouldn't leave the leaflet as it was his only one, but the website address is: www.imerys-rooftiles.com

Someone else recommended us to look at www.solartwin.com for information.

Jan