Pine Table

Lespearsons

[quote]We have a stripped pine kitchen table and wonder what one treats the top with. When we had a wooden kitchen work surface in the UK we used to oil in regularly, do you do the same with a table top or ...[/quote]

Hello

This rather depends on what it has on in the past, or if it has been completely stripped.

My preferred option would be wax, but it involves alot of work, for a long time, before a good layer is built up. Oil is easier, but doesn't protect as well (IMHO). A modern varnish may work, but it won't "look right", it may also crack as the pine expands/shrinks.

[quote]I think wax is best, put it on with very fine grade steel wool, something like OOOO and gradually build up the layers - finish off with a soft shoe brush.If you varnish be aware that it will go yellow...[/quote]

When I made a table (with much help from an ex woodwork teacher friend) I stained the wood first, then clear varnish, then wax worked in with wire wool, all the time working with the grain. After four years the table has not altered colour in any way and still looks the same as it first did without an artificial look about it.

Weedon(53)

• 2 weeks later...