Where to find a fireplace?

Chris_Haze

Hi All

We're renovating our salon and as there is an existing chimney which we can open up, we would like to install a fireplace.

We have seen plenty of brick/block type cheminees that you could house a wood burner in, but we are not looking for this type - we want an old fashioned fireplace with a mantelpiece.

I've done a seach on this forum but not come up with anything, so if there is anyone out there who knows a supplier, or salvage yards perhaps, that do this kind of thing we'd be grateful.

We are in dept 86 between Poitiers and Parthenay so anywhere within an hours distance of us ( to start with) would be good.

Looking forward to loads of helpful replies as usual.

Thanks

Hazel

Hi Hazel - I know what you mean!!

Don't know if you can get to Confolens but there is a reclamation yard there (run by a very enthusiastic Brit) It's a huge old mill/warehouse on the old Angouleme to Anzac road. (Drive into town and take right turn at the bridge (sign posted Angouleme I think). It's along there on the left and he is worth trying but advisable to ring first. Can't remember his name (it may be in www.pagesjaunes.fr under salvo).

There is also a yard on the RN10 on left towards |Angouleme but very pricey. It may be worth putting a petite announce in the local bricos for an old stone chiminee. I've seen them advertised in the brico down the road ocassionally and the local builder has a pile of them in his yard!!

good luck..........helen

You are talking reclaim, so you can probably ignore this missive but just in case it helps - I went with my mother to help her choose a replacement fireplace yesterday (in UK but I expect some of this applies in France).  She doesn't have a real fire very often (actually she's not had one for 30 years) but she wants the capability. However, the surrounds and hearths they had in the show rooms would not cope with the (extra) heat generated by a real fire. So, although there were some good prices in the sale, the conversion to "real Fire" put the prices up dramatically. If you want a real fire, make sure the surround and hearth are up to it.

Back to mother, she has been thinking of changing the fireplace since 1962, so I guess the sales will be well over by the time she actually makes her mind up.