lime render on internal walls

Fmn

I've searched high and low for this - We have some walls that we have removed the cement render from.  We now want to fill in a few holes and add a render/plaster of lime to produce a 'buttered' effect.  That is, some but not all stones exposed.  I cannot find a recipe for the lime mortar/render/plaster (which is it?) that I need.  Does anyone know of a good web connection for me - or alternatively the answer.  I don't want a cement component of this.  Do I just use lime and sand - if so what types and the french names. I know the 'chaux ' bit.

Thanks you clever people

Fran

When we repointed our external stone walls on the inside, leaving some big and/or better looking stones uncovered we selected our mortar colour from a chart at Point P. This gave us the right combination of sand and a coloured numbered St Astier chaux. From memory the mix was 3:1.

Not sure if this is what you needed to know but ggod luck anyway.

John

not

Good question Fran, I'm planning to replace some internal studwork with large section oak and want to lath and plaster in between the oak,(plasterboard doesn't do it for me!) I'd love to find an authentic mix too, perhaps local masons might be a starting point?

Chris

If you are planning to use lime putty then the Mike Wye web site www.mikewye.co.uk has mixes to use. If using Hydraulic lime then www.stastier.co.uk or www.stastier.fr has instructions for mix and application.

Mike Wye also has a video that demonstrates techniques for different finishes and for rendering onto lath. He runs one day courses, one of which I attended and found very useful.

Best Regards

Alan.

This link should give most of the technical and practical ifo. for lime etc.

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/cement/cement.htm

Hope it is of use.

Brian

Actually this post provokes me to share a system of replacing or creating interior walls combining natural materials, modern machinery and lateral thinking to come up with an interior look that cant be bought.

To avoid a very long post, I'll try and put it quickly and simply.....

green oak posts(chunky, say 4-6 inch square) morticed, tennoned and pegged into a frame, or into existing structural timbers, the inside faces of which are routed with two seperate channels to accept the lath, the lath having been ripped or split from a suitable timber (EITHER dried oak or sweet chestnut OR a green softwood, larch for instance), fix the lath into the two channels and insulate between then apply the lime render to the lath to whatever thickness is needed. Now the fun part! Shape and carve off the hard edges of the exposed faces of the uprights ( I have special tools to do this....trade secret!), sand and finish and you have a look that couldn't possibly be plasterboard!

OK it's a slow and costly process, but the folk who built the old French houses and barns that we live in now went to the time and trouble so why shouldn't we, neither did they have Bricodepot down the road to load up plasterboard and 3x2 from, they used the materials that were available to them, the skills that had been passed down to them and they thought on their feet, and boy what results! Am I the only one here who moved to France to avoid filling up my home from B&Q and MFI?

Salut, Chris

• 1 month later...

You should be able to buy premixed Lime products in 15 Litre tubs for internal and external works. If you do not like using SE plasterboard, try Egyptian reed board (plenty money) or sheet metal lathe.

The first application should be coarse stuff (mixed with horse hair) followed by layers of fine stuff.  Allow 1 week between layers until the PH levels drop, continually wet in otherwise the lime will crack open. Lime plaster should be applied using a wooden float rather than a steel trowel which will seal the pores.

So, once who have followed this really easy process, please do not over paint with Dulux or similar, it defeats the object of any lime based product which should allow the building to Breath. Any paint you use should be a lime wash or distemper.

Try www.ijp.co.uk for more info, or pop round to mine I have some spare tubs in the garage!!!  Yes in Guildford.