Replacement Windows & Doors

Mutts

I need to find out about the various kinds of replacement windows, doors and sealed units. What kind to use? Wood/Upvc/Aluminium? I understand wood needs repainting every few years, and I'd prefer low maintenance. Also interested in the possibility of fly screens. Any recommendations?

Linda

I think it depends on what looks right with your property, whether you are in a village, near a church or chateau etc and what you can afford. I've noticed that the French are now using loads of uPVC - lots of styles available and mostly cheaper than wood. Most new wooden double glazed units are stained rather than painted and if you use your shutters against really hot sun and bad weather you won't have to do them too often.

Think uPVC looks awful on old houses though but each to his own I suppose......

Here in 16 we are can grants (or tax breaks?) if replacing all windows and the work is done by registered artisans - ask at your Mairie. Ask about permission too.

Hi,

I suggest you find out where your nearest branch of Lapeyre is to be found. They sell stacks of different types of replacement windows and doors, usually at reasonable prices.

You're right that wood needs treating (one way or another) regularly, of course.

PVC is absolutely nimimum maintenance, but, as Zeb said can look out of place. However, if you get a window with "petits bois" in style, and if you would have painted the wood white anyway, I don't think you should worry too much. However, as you're changing (theoretically) the look of the house, you might like to check up with your Mairie as to whether they would be acceptable.

http://www.lapeyre.fr

is their web site, and they can either do on-line sales, or show you where your nearest branch is, so yu can go and see. A LOT of British people in this area have used them and been delighted.

[quote]I need to find out about the various kinds of replacement windows, doors and sealed units. What kind to use? Wood/Upvc/Aluminium? I understand wood needs repainting every few years, and I'd prefer low...[/quote]

I used cassette type fly screens on all my windows, bought at reasonable price from Mr. Bricolage, they do sell various sizes and the popular size (120cm * 160cm) if i remember correctly,  being the cheapest,  just cut the blind to your own window width, they are fairly easy to install for DIY .

Hello,

In our cottage near Villedieu we bought ready made Gavray matt windows in hardwood and double glazed. We had to pack some of them out as all five windows all varied in size. They even have packing out wood to match. It took some going through to sort them out to suit our size but am very happy with them. We also bought the petit bois glazing beads to match the existing style. I fitted them then I stained them in the lazure chene moyen exterior micropourus wood stain available at Bricomarche. Cost was about 1000 euros including nice pewter twist handles. They do UPVC windows and also sell doors. Stairs etc. They have several stores but ours were bought at Gavray. James.