Trade suppliers, builders, plumbers merchants etc?

tj

Hi

Moving to the Charentes region in a couple of weeks, would be interested to know of who supplies the trade in this region ?

General builders merchants, timber merchants, plumbers merchant etc, I looked in a couple of B&Q type places, some things were cheaper, but generally they were very expensive!

Are you setting up a business in the building trades? If so, opening trade accounts isn't always straightforward in France and many suppliers will insist on an accountant's letter stating your previous year's turnover etc as well as the usual SIRET and TVA nos.Being non-french too can also affect this as know nothing of you or where you have come from. This is just a warning in case you are not aware of these regulations and its not always the case either - depends on the outlet, this is not meant to put you off or intimidate, but you may be best paying for goods for the first year and then opening your accounts when you are up and running as they have to be paid by direct debit monthly. You should also allow for much longer deliveries in France as well,especially in the summer and get your supplies if you are working in August & September ordered in June or July. Deliveries to site are not free either.

Hi

Have dealt with the formalities of setting up the business, but will take my time, am in no rush. But good suppliers of material at a reasonable price are essential, afterall it is the customer who pays in the end!

I want to open accounts, but not credit accounts, thats the way I like to do business, but the business registration opens doors to fair priced materials here and I am hoping the same in France.

I have 1 or 2 projects to look at when we arrive, and it would be useful to know in advance who the big players are in the Builders Merchant trade.  

You will not get any discounts available to registered artisans unless you register with the chambre de metiers

As for builders merchants there are lots about.The Charente is a huge department so without an idea of where you are it would be pointless giving names.

I could tell you that 3m;s at Ruffec is good for material but if you are based in Cognac I doubt if you would want to travel 40 miles for material