Exterior stone protection

Charley

After ripping the rendering off our house and pointing with chaux I'm wondering if anyone knows of any kind of protection I could use on the stone. I used a powder with the chaux mix to stop damp here but still worry about the faces of the stone against weather and time.

Cheers

Charley

Hi charley

I'm replying because no one else has.  

I'm no expert but as far as I know you don't have to protect the face of your stone - it's fine as it is.  We read a lot about stone having to breathe, and I don't know about that, but our stone houses have never been sealed in any way, and they've been fine. 

Hopefully someone who is more of an expert than me can back this up with techical info if you feel you need it.

Regards, Diana

think you have made a big bo bo already by adding the powder into your mix to make it waterproof, you have defeated the object of using lime and might have well have  used cement.

the powder that you have used is added to the d.p.c course to prevent rising damp from ground level just like the plastic dpc in the uk.

now you have made the pointing waterproof in will not let water in but will not let it out either, this water has to go somewhere if it cannot go out it will go in.

do not want to doom and gloom you but ............

Dave