new build cost

Fionah

Thanks Nick.  Is that a finished price, including bathrooms and kitchens or just the structural work?  We already have the land with a structure on it which we were going to build something out of but have been advised it would be better if we knocked it down and, in effect, started again.  Just trying to work out the financial logistics of it all.

It usually does work out cheaper to start from scratch.  I think to avoid running out of money, or having to cut down on the standard of fittings you would be well advised to allow £750 to £1000 per square metre of habitable space; ie all levels not just the ground floor. If you are planning a particularly luxurious standard you would need to allow more.

If you intend to do some of the work yourselves don't be too optimistic on the savings that you will make.

[quote]Thanks Nick. Is that a finished price, including bathrooms and kitchens or just the structural work? We already have the land with a structure on it which we were going to build something out of but...[/quote]

I think I will have to leave you to draw your own conclusions, given that BJSLIV's estimate is 3 times mine!

Ah  .... now I am confused   Should I take a figure about in the middle of both of you for a finished per sqm cost?  BJSLIV are you using UK building costs, as you quoted in £'s ?  We're hoping just to have final decorating works to do ourselves so everything else will have to be done by the builders. 

In the UK, the figures are between £400 and £1000 per sq metre, dependant on location (obviously London is more expensive than Lancashire) and finish required. Also to factor in is whether you go architect as project manager, builder or do it all yourself.

The above are from Homebuilding and Renovating magazine.

I imagine in France most things will be cheaper incl Labour. I imagine around £500 per sq metre being the 'ball park' figure you talk of.

We have a 4 walls and a roof type place, in  first class condition , we are seeking quotes to put a fosse in and then do the interior of the barn. I have sussed out individual prices and put them together adding 10%, i got to around £50-£55 k, First 'ball park' figure a builder gave me with a straight face was £150k!!

I would warn about being seen as a 'money cow' (no offence and may have wrong expression) as it appears at first glance to me that that is how i am being viewed. My building society manager would have kittens if i went asking for £130k as opposed to £30k

Get everything in writing

Depends on quality of house, difficulty of land etc.

MIKIT and similar 'clef a la main' plain pieds built down to a price can be under Euros 800 per square metre of useable ( not ground floor) space. 

Every time I have sat down and costed a build versus barn conversion I have come to the conclusion New Build is cheaper and Euro 1000 per square metre used to be the bench mark  for renovation.

There are adverts in 'Maison & Travaux' and 'Art & Decoration' for books with regoinal building cost in France

Funnily enough!!! Having just started down the new build route,I have found out that it only includes a sink unit[to make the house habitable]+loo+shower.However if anyone is interested I have some quality modern unused ex showroom kitchens , surplus to my requirements.Any interest please contact.Nr.St.Malo.