Noise: Brico and Prof rules etc and Animals

Teamedup

In our dept there is an arrete prefectorale  for the use of power tools, lawn mowers and any brico tool that can create a noise that would gene the neighbours. For us individuals our noisy brico activities can be done during the following times.

Mon to Fri  (normal working days)   8h to 12h and 14h to 19h30

Sat 9h to 12 and 15h to 19h

Sun and Bank hols 10h to 12h

Professionals must stop noisy work by 20h and not recommence before 7h unless there is an emergency. This can be amended by the Mairie to suite local needs and requirements.

Animals (especially dogs): we must take every measure to dissuade and stop our dogs making any noise that would annoy our neighbours. Especially constant loud barking. Guard dogs must be trained to only make a noise if there is an infraction.

I imagine that these things are pretty universal in France.

I think in our little bit of France the rules have either not arrived or are ignored. A couple of Sundays ago I commented that the farmer was ploughing the garden field nearest to us - this is his family potager this year, his brother was at the other end of the field (which is very small) using a digger, another neighbour had a a chainsaw going and another was mowing the lawn - time 1:30 pm. We did not mind as we were working also.

The fields have tractors running in them at all hours - last year it was 2:00 am when they started getting in the hay.

We have two horrible dogs in the lane that bark whenever someone goes past - they are really nasty and there is a maison secondaire opposite which causes a bit of a problem when they are in residence as the noise is awful - they complain.

The upside is that no-one minds when we mow the field, work on our barn or really do anything on our land. Their view is and has been said to us, what you do on your land is up to you, we do not care, and that includes changes to our barn.

Like everything else in a very bureaucratic country its down on paper but hardly ever enforced except maybe by Parisennes on holiday in the sticks who don't like cockerells crowing at 4am. Noise dosn't bother me during the day or weekends but from midnights to 7am it does and when our neighbour's kids had a party playing bongo drums at 4am we and the other neighbours did lose our rag and scream and shout obscenities at them as the next day was a normal working day,one neighbour did call the gendarmes who shut them down and until I proved it,they thought it was us. The one thing that really does upset me is the uncessary burning of green garden rubbish when we have a very modern and free déchet vert just a couple of kms away and its always when I have white washing out too.

I think this is pretty universal. Fortunately our nearest neighbours are at a good distance and it makes no odds at all whether we are at the bricolage at 6am (no chance!) or not. Like Iceni we sometimes get the combine 'arvester round in the middle of the night in nearby fields but this is a very short season and the work has to be done.

I haven't heard the one about dogs being trained not to bark. That's a laugh. I wish they could also be trained not to rush out and try to sieze my ankle when I'm on my bike.

LIz (29)

I think this is pretty universal. Fortunately our nearest neighbours are at a good distance and it makes no odds at all whether we are at the bricolage at 6am (no chance!) or not. Like Iceni we sometimes get the combine 'arvester round in the middle of the night in nearby fields but this is a very short season and the work has to be done.

I haven't heard the one about dogs being trained not to bark. That's a laugh. I wish they could also be trained not to rush out and try to sieze my ankle when I'm on my bike.

Liz (29)

I have once had a cyclist ride past and point “boldly” at his watch whilst I was mowing the lawn between 12: 10and 14:00. However, as I’m over half a Km from the neighbours (who don’t ride bikes) I did what I thought most French would do – ignored him.

Ian