Desperate! - Fly Screens Req'd!!

I'd really would like some advice on the options for fly screening our farm house windows.  We are in a major sheep area, and whilst familiar/comfortable with all things country, I hate so many flies getting in each time a window is opened.

The childrens food presents us with the biggest problem & attraction for the flies, at the moment, and this weekend was a real pain.  Today, there is more breeze, so its easier...

What options are available?, what do people recommend?, where do you get them from & what do they cost?

I imagine, that in order to be able to open & close the shutters, some sort of roller-type screen must be available, this sounds good in principle, as they could be retracted easily for window cleaning & when not needed in the winter.

OK so if they exist, what and where are they?

Many thanks in fly-free anticipation.

Mark & Kay

I fitted cassette type roller blind fly screens to all the windows in my house (13) fortunately they are a popular size (std. French 4 pane, twin opening windows) and were reasonably priced from memory about €55 each, they came from Mr Bricolage and made by "Mousti-kit" see through mesh very easy to fit, just cut to length and width, well worth the money in my opinion.

You can also get them at Brico Marche and Castorama that I know of. Yes they are well worth the money and effort of putting them in. They not only stop the flies they also stop the moths etc invading the house in the evenings when it's dark outside. Don't forget something over the door opening .

Go for it.

Steve

Another vote for Mousti-kit, I've done a couple in the last week. To cut down to size all you need is a hacksaw. Only point I would mention is that I found I had to make them a couple of mm smaller than the marking on the box.

I also bought one of the other make (sorry can't remember the name) but it seemed to be missing bits and making reference to optional packs. Avoid.

yes they've really come on in the last couple of years. When I bought the first lot 10 years ago they were about £60 each and made of silver extruded aluminium with little or no help as to how to cut and fit. The Mousti-kit ones are part alu, part plastic and are much easier to fit and to use. if fitted properly, they keep out flies, moths, and mozzies. 

The only proviso is that you can't fit them to windows which are flush with the OUTSIDE of the window cavity unless you have sufficient headroom above the windows inside to allow the opening panes to clear the cassette..... Sorry. That's not very clear, is it?

Normally you fit the cassette containing the fly screen, outside the window. However, if the window is flush with the outside of the wall, you are left with no recourse but to fit it inside.  Therefore in order to be able to open the windows, there needs to be sufficient space for the opening windows to clear the bottom of the cassette. Got it?

The other pisser is persienne (sp?) shutters which fill up the cheeks of the window cavity just where you would fit the rails and cassette!

What department are you in? in Loire-Atlantique we found the kits come and go in about 2 weeks so you have to be quick. If you enquire in the bricos thereafter they look at you gone out and say "Oh there's no call for them here, we don't have mosquitoes." (yea, right!) 

paul

... or if you want to do it cheaply the flyscreen material is available on the roll buy it by the metre. Then with a staple gun attach it to the inner frame of the window - hey presto the window will still shut. If you do want to have a window that you can pass things through fix the flyscreen to a batten and screw to top of window frame and use heavy batten at bottom to keep flyscreen in place.

Perhaps I should send this tip to Tight Wads Gazette.