Solar ceiling light tubes

Racerbear02

I am looking for advice on sourcing parts for a DIY installation of 'solar light tubes' to lighten up a couple of dark corners upstairs.

I am familiar with the theory of how they work, but the only ones I can find are very expensive, does anyone have any experience in sourcing the components to construct these? I am thinking particularly of the roof dome and the reflective tubing.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I've only looked in the Uk for a "Light Tube" and found them all (only a choice of about 3 companies) to be very expensive. Ours in UK lights up the first floor landing with a 350mm diameter tube. It cost about £550 + about £200 for a roofer too.

It was made by Sunpipe who very, very reluctantly gave a 10% discount. I don't think they'll get cheaper until they are seen as a mainstream product.A huge amount of money to save on lightbulbs but I'm very happy with it.

If I were to think of something similar again, I think I'd go down the DIY route and use glass roof tiles and make a wooden shaft (lined with foil) leading down to the room. This of course wouldn't do if you want to go round a bend or two.

We have the same idea - althought not started the project yet.

We are looking at using The Light Pipe company - may not help you because they ared UK based.  I think prices start at just under £200 for a 10" pipe.

Have a look at their web site: www.lightpipe.org.uk