Plumbing

Carnige

Hi all,

I have had a chauffage fitted with hot and cold pipe tails ready to pipe the rest of the property. I intend to do this myself with polyfit plastic plumbing, does anybody know the name of the fittings required to go from 16mm french to 15mm english and if so where can I get it?

regards

Nigel

Hello, why do you want to use U.K fittings? Everything you require is available in France. I wonder how many of these '*******' systems will come back to haunt the installer/owner in the future if/when they go wrong in any way.

I have just installed a complete PER system which was a delight to fit due its ease of installation and availability of parts.

Regards

Remember that water pressure in France is much higher than in England. Many systems that are fine in the UK won't cope over here. Our French plumber told us he has made a lot of money from English clients when their joints burst open a year or so after installing them !

[quote]Hi all, I have had a chauffage fitted with hot and cold pipe tails ready to pipe the rest of the property. I intend to do this myself with polyfit plastic plumbing, does anybody know the name of the ...[/quote]

Buy a pair of 15mm straight connectors in UK. Buy a pair of 16mm straight connectors in France. Buy a short length of 16 mm straight copper pipe in France . The olive connectors and nut from the 15mm fitting will the threads on the French 16mm. You should have fitted a pressure valve to limit the input pressure to 3 Bar anyway. The above will work, sometimes simply using 15mm nut and olive onto the flexiables from the CdE will work.

I would check on the minimum run of copper from a central heating boiler to to the plastic pipe. ( 1 metre ? ? ? ).

The main downside of using UK water fittings in France is that it is a very long trip to the shops if you need a couple of extra fittings.

It isn't the fittings or the pipe that are a problem with French mains pressure. It is always berks who use soft solder (40% Tin as in the UK) instead of hard solder (97% Tin).

Oh, and those closet sages who do olive swapping badly.

Do the right thing and prevent nightmares.

The minimum length of Copper or Iron pipe from the boiler flow AND return is 1m before going to PER. It is permissible in France to use braided flexi-hoses direct from the boiler. In fact, the French have just discovered this!! Don't tell my boss I said that....

As an example to quote from the John Guest Speedfit site:

Connection to Boilers

Speedfit pipe should never be connected directly to a boiler.

Although most modern boilers have a high limit thermostat, residual heat can be conducted by the heat exchanger. Therefore, Speedfit recommend a minimum of 1 metre from the boiler casing should be run in copper pipe unless otherwise stated in the boiler manufacturer's installation literature.

A gravity primary circuit operating on an uncontrolled cooking range or solid fuel boiler should be run entirely in copper and the heating circuit run in copper for the first metre.

Refer to BS 5955: Part 8 for further clarification.

All appliances should have safety devices to make sure they cannot operate above the working temperature and pressure range set out in our Technical Checklist. If safety devices are not incorporated within the appliance then external controls will be needed.

Speedfit Products should not be fitted to a back fired boiler or other uncontrolled heat sources.

its possible to get hep2o fittings suitable for french systems. the company advertises in the french news and they are based at riberac. they do mail order great for advice as well . just foound the info realheating12 route de Périgueux 24600 Ribérac Tél.
/ Fax :05 53 90 46 34 Email : info@realheating.com ... i have no connection with them other than as a customer 

Mr bricolage does per  fittings but not in all stores
try this link as well in french but simple french  with some diagrams

www.commeunpro.com/infos/conseils/plomberie/per.html 

i know your problems been there got the tea shirt  hope this telps