Spray painting walls and ceilings

Racerbear02

Just a quick message which may assist people who, like me, hate painting walls and ceilings with a roller and brush.

A neighbour offered me the use of his Wagner W850E airless spary gun, he said that painting walls with it was a pleasure !!

I have now tried it and found that while not exactly pleasurable, it is a LOT easier, quicker and less messy than using the traditional paint roller / brush.

I have just painted a room 4m x 4.5m, 2.5m tall in just less than 2 hours per coat, and that includes the ceiling, and also I found that I used MUCH less paint than if I had used a roller, a total of under 5 litres for two coats of white acrylique emulsion.

You have to wear a mask of course for your health as the fine particles will play havoc with your lungs if not, but other than that I found no extra precautions needed than for painting 'by hand', with a bit of care you can have virtually no overspray to clean up, and certainly no more mess than gets flicked off a roller when painting, I also found that the finish was superior after a little practice, the first coat was the first time I have done any spraying and certainly by the end of the second coat I was getting a good smooth surface, much better than my attempts with a roller. The only downside was that it took a few attempts to determine the correct viscosity for the paint to spray, I just kept thinning the paint down with water till it worked, this is also why I used less paint as I ended up thinning it down by around 25%, this still produced an excellent finish.

So for anyone considering a lot of painting during a renovation, I can certainly recommend the purchase of one of these guns, as with everything it is worth getting the best you can afford, but this one is on sale in the Bricos at around 250€ and my neighbour got his at 170€ on Promo, you will save that much money in paint on a large house, especially at French paint prices.

[quote]Just a quick message which may assist people who, like me, hate painting walls and ceilings with a roller and brush.A neighbour offered me the use of his Wagner W850E airless spary gun, he said that ...[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend an airless spray gun (& 250E  seems expensive, too), but I can recommend an HVLP sprayer. The Earlex one is about 100E now & is excellent and fast.

I stand corrected, when I read further in the instruction leaflet the Wagner is indeed a High Volume Low Pressure gun, not airless as I said, it uses something similar to a vacuum cleaner motor but blows rather than sucks.

I was not promoting the make and model, merely the proceedure, which Nick would appear to endorse.

[quote]I stand corrected, when I read further in the instruction leaflet the Wagner is indeed a High Volume Low Pressure gun, not airless as I said, it uses something similar to a vacuum cleaner motor but bl...[/quote]

Aye, I guess that Wagner is the brand leader (so 250E probably isn't too much) - outside my means, though!

[quote]with the price of compressors so cheap here why go airless??? dave[/quote]

Not much point. However, I wouldn't recommend spraying anything other than thinned varnish or creosote with a high-pressure sprayer.

And, I have no idea why some pots are above, some below. It follows that there must be a difference between gravity-fed and venturi-drawn paint (in terms of viscosity) I can only assume that you can spray thicker paints with a gravity-fed pot. I've never used one, only the "traditional" type. Actually, that is not true; I used to spray "conformal coating" on the back of circuit boards - that had the consistancy of warm golden syrup - and we had to use a gravity-feed gun.....

That makes sense, doesn't it?

That's what I thought till I did it, in effect with a bit of care there is no need to mask anything more than you would do to protect from a roller flicking paint or drips from a brush, if you use a piece of stiff card held in your hand, you can even paint right up to windows, doors etc. without overspray.

Try it you will be surprised