How many woodburners in 1 flue?

Yvonne

We have a woodburner installed with a flue that goes up through the old chimney. We would like to install a 2nd woodburner in a room that backs onto this chimney but the chimney is not wide enough for a 2nd flue. Is it possible / Legal to use the same flue for  2 burners ( that would never be used at the same tme)?

Thanks,

Abi

Alan & Gill,

Thanks for your message - that's not what I wanted to hear!! Still, it's better to know than to do it and come unstuck - especially as the wall we'd have to make the hole in is 90cm thick!

I presume that the heavy gases mean that they'd end up coming out of the one woodburner not in use as opposed to going up th chimney?

Thanks again,

Abi

If the main flue is wide enough you could take a ducted liner from each appliance and run up through the chiney ,just using the chimney as a void and terminate at the top with two proper outlets

I would suggest this is done professionally

As the previous comment stated you are not allowed two appliances in one flue.

Just to say if you have a problem with flues you can have stainless fans fitted electrically driven to make certain you have a draw on the appliance, a bit pricey at about 1000 euros but they do work.

Gabe I think it would be wise to have the chimney swept just to remove all the soot and rubbish that will be up there.

As the flue is perfectly sealed then therE will be no problem with the any contamination into the flue.

Also if the chimney does not have a register plate above the wood burner the rubbish will alway be falling down into the room.

If you seal the bottom with a register plate is is a good idea to vent it so you have air circulation in the chimney and also an air vent fitted in the external of the chimney if the top is sealed as well.

It depends on the configuration of how the wood burner is installed that details what you do.

regards VJ

VJ,

Thanks for the advice, I also note the other thread on the subject that is going. Just one other question, to the register plates have to be made to measure or do they come in a range of sizes. Like a lot of people we have an inglenook style fireplace with a huge opening which is by no means square/rectangular.

Gabe

register plates have to be made to measure or do they come in a range of sizes?

You will have to have it made to measure, you could make a template out of cardboard and have one made up, I am sure your local Brico or the person supplying the woodburner, will be able to give you a name of someone who does this.