Calor Gas for Hobs

Gabe

We are planning to buy a range style electric oven with calor gas hob. I assume that the calor gas bottles have to be stored outside, so, based on this assumption my question is;

How far can the pipes for the hob be effecively run ?

We want to place the oven against an internal wall in the kitchen which would require a pipe run of approx. 10 - 15m, if it is to be discreet. Is this to far for the pressure to reach ? Clearly I know nothing of these things.

Gabe 

Two things come to mind:

When you say "Calor Gas Hob" do you mean made by Calor, or jetted for use with Calor?

IIRC Calor gas is butane, which requires slightly different jetting to propane, which is the largest constituent of LPG, for which most hobs are jetted. This is because butane is not much use when outside temperatures fall below 0 degrees Celsius, it's boiling point, whereas propane can be used down to -42 degrees, far below what we get in Europe.

Secondly, is this to be brought from Britain, or bought in France? I ask because I was caught out bringing a gas hobbed electric cooker from the UK. Mine WAS jetted correctly, (I had to specify LPG), but the inlet pipe was wrong. It was to the British norm, not EC norm. I've solved the problem now, but the manufacturer, and local plumbers/plumber's merchants (in France), were singularly unhelpful

Not sure about pipe runs, our neighbour uses two 13kg cylinders in tandem, but her cooker is on the other side of the wall to the cylinders. A gas barbecue I bought last year required no more than 3m of pipework, but that was flexible. I'm not sure if it's the same if you were to fit proper rigid pipework.

Finally, yes, the cylinders need to be outside, and ventilated, as both butane and propane are heavier than air, so a small leak could fill your cellar etc. HOWEVER: where does that leave the numerous French cookers I've seen which look like a double oven, but the second "oven" is actually a door to hide the 13kg cylinder which must live inside the house?

Alcazar

Propane gas does need to be kept outside however Butane gas (which seems to be more widely used and available) can be used inside. In fact, if you were to locate your Butane bottle outside then it may not work properly as it can freeze. There's no reason why you can't store your spare bottle outside though.

We have a range cooker with gas hob and only manage to get through about three standard size bottles of Butane per year so you will find that usage is minimal. You only, therefore, really need one bottle which would be fairly easy to locate in a cupboard adjacent to the cooker. Providing you use the correct fitting for connecting to the cooker (you can buy the gas pipes with these already fitted at most brico stores) and you replace the hose and washers every few years (the "relace by" year is usually printed on the hose)you shouldn't have any problems with leaks.

As Alcazar said, buy everything in France and you can't go wrong.

That's right, propane outside, butane inside. My Indesit bottled gas cooker had options for both types and storage for the bottle (if butane used). Even if you use butane, you will have to comply with ventilation requirements as long term use can cause a harmful build-up of burnt gases. The appliance instructions should specify the ventilation requirements.

Don't see much point in bringing Calor from England as I guess French bottle stockists won't be too keen to exchange replacements for French bottles when you run out.

'Le Cube' (which is Butagaz) are available in either butane or propane. They are lovely and clean to use (heavy-duty rubberized plastic rather than rusty steel) inside or out. We use one on a gas cooker (hob & oven) and a cube lasts about 6 - 8 weeks and is specifically designed to run out while cooking for a dinner party. But since they are easy to change (push the regulator on and twist the switch : no nuts or spanners needed) it's no big deal.

Here in the Limousin, LeClerc are trialing their own brand gas (not sure yet if it's both Butane and propane) at 17E95 for a 13kg bouteille with the cost of 5E00 to start one. Compaired with 24E95 which we are currently paying here for a 13kg Butagaz it's well worth considering for anyone just starting.

p

Gabe

I run a big gaz chauffeau (22.7kw) and a gas cooker off a single bottle sited outside the house on the diagonal corner (i.e. the pipe runs round two sides of the building) Probably 18 metres to the chauffeau, and a further 5 or so to the cooker. Piped in 16mm copper. No problem with pressure or flow.

p