Caught between the French/British health systems??

French Novice

My two children and I have recently moved to France whilst my husband has remained in the UK to work during the week. He returns to France for long weekends. The DoH have told me that I need to register in France and after completing a million and one forms the French have said that Britain needs to cover our health costs as my husband works and pays his taxes in the UK. We are caught between the two.

Does anyone know where I can start and exactly which form I need to request? At the moment we have 100% private insurance which needless to say I would love to abolish!

You need to get form E109. Beware though because these E.forms do have a limited life except for the retirement E121 and you may only have one year's cover allowed. You really need also to get a french mutuelle to cover the other 50%+ of any medical charges as it is very expensive here without full health cover I can tell you.

I am in the same situation. All my income is earnt and tax/NI paid in UK, though resident in France.

Not hard to get the forms. I got a form E106 (not an E109) which covers myself and family for basic healthcare in France. As Val says you then need to top up your health cover with an insurance plan. This is normal and not just something foreigners need to do. The form is valid for a stated period of time depending on your application. Mine gives cover for two years and then I need to renew it.

If you want to talk to someone about this then call the Centre For Non Residents on 0044 191 225 4811. They were very helpful. I simply faxed them copies of the docs they wanted and they posted the certificate out to me. You then take the form to your local 'Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie' with an RIB and some utility bills to prove your residence. They process this and post the authenticated certificate to you.

G.

As Val said the correct form is the E109, this covers the family of someone living in France whilst the "earner" is still employed in the UK and hence paying NI contributions. It transfers the benefits  earned by current earnings to the other country. The E106 is assessed on previous contributions and transfers the benefits for a fixed period, typically two years. As it assumes that the earner has left the country and is therefore no longer part of the UK system you only get one of them, and it is not normally renewable.

I assume that the "earner" who is still resident in the UK is treated as having E111 when visiting France, as they unlike their family will not be registered with the French system.

It doesn't half get confusing......as I recently posted in another topic on this forum, my husband does the working in the UK, returning at weekends thing, and we both have Carte Vitales, (via an E106 - issued valid for 5 years - that's what DSS said we needed), Mutuelles and TDS's, and fill out a French tax return. As we are all in the health system using the E106 until 2008, I'll wait until then ask for an E109, if that's what we will need to continue our health care. No-one has ever questioned my husband's right to a Carte Vitale, and nor am I going to start questioning his entitlement now!

Chris

It does get confusing doesn't it, however, the E106 I was issued with has enabled me to get cover for my family and myself in France. It is renewable. This is the form I was advised to get by the Centre for Non Residents in Newcastle having clearly stated our situation and I assume that they know what they are talking about.

Quotes from the IR web site -

"E106:
This is a certificate of entitlement to sickness/maternity benefits in kind for persons going to live in another Member State. When the E106 is registered the person and registered dependants can receive medical treatment on the same basis as an insured person of the Member State of residence. "

"E109:
Form E109 is a certificate of registration for the dependants only of an employed/self-employed person who resides in a Member State. It entitles the holder to sickness/maternity benefits. Form E109 is issued for a limited period, i.e. 12 months."

The 'E' forms cover all EEA countries and are not peculiar to UK citizens. The E111 should be used to obtain cover for short term trips to an EEA country other than the competent country. The E106 is a certificate of entitlement to health benefits in kind for persons residing in a country other than the competent country. The E109 is a certificate for the registration of members of the employed person's family and dependants whilst they live in a country other than the competent country. I believe that the actual worker is automatically covered in the country that they pay their contributions but not in the other EEA country they have opted to live.

Obviously there are many different circumstances that may apply to different people. I would recommend that any Brit who needs to sort out their health cover in France but still pays some or all tax/NI in the UK, contacts the Centre for Non Residents (0845 915 4811 or from abroad 0044 191 225 4811) explains their specific situation and gets the correct solution from the horses mouth.

Hope this helps to clarify.

Cheers,

G.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Can I just throw this one into the pot - my husband and I will both be 60 when we eventually move out to France to live. How does this affect our Health care entitlement, are we treated as pensioners by the French system and just need the Mutuel top up, or do we still need E forms from England ?

Thanks

Julie

You will only be treated as pensioners to go into the CPAM system here if you produce the relevent E121 forms, your office UK pension entitlements and the usual personal documents. Without the E121 you are not considered a pensioner here and you may have to apply for the E106 for a limited period with a contribution to the CPAM depending on your monthly income. Remember the CPAM is only responsible for 50% of healthcare costs,you must take out a private mutuelle for the other percentage and then be careful because you do not get a full 100% refund unless you buy over that percentage and it dosn't always cover things like dentures and certain medications etc. The french pension system works where you must have worked to gain a number of points that entitle you to your retirement.

Hi Val,

This means then, that because we will both be 60,  I will be able to get documentation to say I am a pensioner, but my husband wont as he is not 65.  What would be our  cheapest form of getting cover as we are coming out on early retirement funds plus my pension. If we got a form E106 before we leave England, that would cover him or us for 2 years I believe. Can you renew these to take us up to his 65th birthday ?  Also, what proportion would we have to top up with a mutuel ?

Thanks for your help !

Julie

Hi Val,

This means then, that because we will both be 60,  I will be able to get documentation to say I am a pensioner, but my husband wont as he is not 65.  What would be our  cheapest form of getting cover as we are coming out on early retirement funds plus my pension. If we got a form E106 before we leave England, that would cover him or us for 2 years I believe. Can you renew these to take us up to his 65th birthday ?  Also, what proportion would we have to top up with a mutuel ?

Thanks for your help !

Julie

You will both be covered because of your UK pension, only one of the  couple needs to be 60/65 and receiving a pension, to qualify for an E121.

You would still want/ need to take out the additional mutuelle type cover which would probably cost about £1000 per year for the two of you.