Wind Generators

VJ

I am looking into fitting a wind generator to supply about 5 kw of power to my House.The unit will be located about 100 metre from the house

I have trawled around UK USA and Europe and have discoverd the following http://www.gual-industrie.com.

I would appreciate any comments from anyone that has installed or thinking of installing one.

Thank you in advance

VJ

Looks like I am alone on this one so I will keep you posted on how it goes.

I am advised that I can put any surplus power I generate back into the grid so it will be fun to know my generator is earning me Money while I am in the UK. (may be I will start a local wind farm!!!!!)

The second point I have looked into is operating my central heating via the mobile phone so I can switch it on as I am on the Ferry , ALL very easy and will be installing this as well. What with this and web cams , temperature monitoring I will be able to do all from the web before I arrive (Now how can I get the wood burner to fire up

Continuation 28/9/2005

Switching on boiler by phone.

The RS cat 505-6610, via an SMS appears to be the way to go for the boiler control unless anybody knows a cheaper version.

The system allows one to buy a sim card and block all calls other than sms . You then programme the password sms and when you send the relevant sms passwordtext the unit activates a relay which is connected in series to the Boiler themostat. Another text message will allow you to switch it off

The benifit with this system is that there is no need for a main line phone connection as it works from the GSM

Wind generator

I am awaiting costs but a budget for a five kilowatt is about £3000-00 plus installation. I am collecting the wind speed data from the local airport for the last 12 months which then will allow me to work out what the unit would have generated over the 12 months

When I receive EDF costs for the power I generate I can then apply this to the time less the draw off by the house when occupied plus a diversity factor

VJ

Just need to have the charger connected

Very interesting idea. I have always thought more people should do it. The world needs it.

Have a look at this site

www.otherpower.com

They have some very interesting articles, projects and technical information.

Re Now how can I get my wood burner fired up.....?

Have you considered asking a neighbour, we have a standing arrangement which is also operated by the mobile phone, and usually comes with the added bonus of a lovely fresh loaf ,half doz farm eggs, and a nice bit of cheese. Love the idea of wind generator, we have a redundant EDF pole on our land would love to turn the tables on 'em... Tell us more....

Re the central heating by phone

I will leave the themostat on the system set at a set temperature and wire a frost stat and pipe stat around them so if the temp drops to low they will fire the boiler.

The main stat I will put in a relay to be fired up by a signal controller that will activate the normally open contact therby allowing the boiler to run up to pre set temp

The controllers is plugged in to the telephone line and when it receives the dial code it looks for the code (like dialling into answer phone to collect messages and makes the contact) the code is preset by me and is numerical.

I was in the process of making one but I have been made aware they are in the latest RS catalogue so I will look and report back.

On a recent trip to Norway I saw one that also reported back the room temperatur to the mobile. may be phase 2

VJ

Have you seen the latest little remote control gaget in the RS cat 505-6610, sends an SMS when a contact makes and you can reply by text to get it to operate two relays. Nice but not cheap.

Now for the auto wood burner, something based on an Allen Braddley slc500 should do the trick, lighting should be simple enough with a small propane burner and a spark generator, air operated rams for the stack dampers, doors and air controls. Wood could be fed in either from an inclined ramp at the front or from a hopper with a chain conveyor. I assume that you would be able to empty the ash manually since ours only need emptying about once a week even when used flat out.

It should also be simple enough to set up a webcam so that you can enjoy fire-gazing while sitting in the ferry.

Now getting the wife to accept the gagetry in the lounge - that's the challenge, probably best to use our system called Nicole!

Regards

Peter

The Allen-Bradley SLC500 is a Programmable Logic Controller and not a complete solution.  The extra ‘bits’ will be very expensive and the SLC500 is, IMHO, a sledgehammer to crack a nut.  The RS 505-6610 is indeed good but at £293 should be.  If you want to invest in X10 to control lots of devices try http://www.simplyautomate.co.uk/productDisplay.asp?prodId=5445  (Or search for ‘Telephone interfaces’ on the home page: http://www.simplyautomate.com/default.asp )  Alternatively, ‘Letsautomate’ also have them at:  http://www.letsautomate.com/10859.cfm?  Both companies have suitable Telephone Transponder for around £86 plus circa £25 for the switching device.

If you are in the UK and are interested in Wind Power have a look at:  http://www.unlimited-power.co.uk/Aerogen_wind_turbines.html and http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/test/wind.htm

Brian 11500    

Thanks Guys and will go from there

I think the wood burner reply with AB was fun but the conveyor system mech handling would I am sure not be tolerated I could spend hours building it and again watching the house burn down as the gas cylinder malfunctions on the Web. .mmm especially with my project guys watching

just need Nicole or even her Mum

The telephone switching devices were a great help and better price

Once again thanks

The AB SLC500 was meant as a joke (I have a couple of second hand ones waiting for a suitable project to turn up, sledge hammer maybe but cheap!!) but how about the Vellman 6501 kit for 60 eur from http://www.selectronic.fr/recherche_abecedaire.asp?recherche_lettre=V&page=2.

p.s. how do you insert hyperlinks into these replies.

Peter

Hi everyone,

I have been reading this with interest as would love to have wind generator (have 4 hectares to put it on) to supply our electric and solar power to help that.

However does anyone know of a company that fits these type of renewable sources and what type of price we would be lookiing at? We are only starting oour renovation so now is the time to be looking at this. We are in the south of the Sarthe dept so companies near to us or that are willing to travel.

Also I assume we would have to get our Mairies permission to have it installed, can anyone clarify this please?

Thanks for your help.