Electric WCs

Victoria

Sorry if this has been covered before - I have done a search but can't seem to see anything.  We have to instal 2 bathrooms next year and MOH had been prepared to do all the necessary plumbing, but on visiting the BricoDepot he spotted these electric loos.  We have encountered them in some hotels and they seem OK (if a little stained).  They are more expensive than traditional ones but it would save him a lot of digging and pipe work. 

We are prone to thunderstorms and electrical cuts in our area but we will still have a traditional WC on the ground floor.

Does anyone know anything about them, any drawbacks?

If you are talking about the "Shredder" type of loo that allows you to connect with a small pipe rather than the usual big pipe, then I would only recommend them as a last resort. They are noisey ,can be  liable to blocking and if paying guests are involved are even more prone to blocking as they don't always obey the does and don'ts of what to put in them!

If you really can't put a proper loo in then go ahead, but for the additional effort of digging, or boxing in it really is better to do it the old fashioned way!

Our last house came with one-it was new and we thought we might keep it but after using it a few times we had it changed to a conventional one- it was just too noisy! It did work well and looked fine but....everyone in the house knew where you had just been

[quote]Ours is in the down stairs cloak with only a small lift. Strictly no number twos unless its an emergency . Remember the Pump is on the outlet so if the Power is off the water will come straight out of...[/quote]

I dunno if they are quite this bad!

A macerator toilet should be able (and have the capacity) to accept 1 flush without the power to empty itself. The second flush should stay in the toilet bowl, if the seals are up to it. The third powerless flush ..... Doesn't bear thinking about.

That said, we are in the process on decommissioning 2 Saniflows and replacing them with conventional loos. Not becuase of reliability (they have been well-used and completely reliable, thank Gawd), but because of the noise.

Also, if using the Saniflow-type seperate macerator (rather than a built-into-the-loo type), then don't use them with cheap loos, with cheap flush mechanisms. They tend to dribble small amounts of water into the bowl which will set the Saniflo off at the most outrageous of times.

Thank you all for your replies.  I thought it all sounded too good to be true.  I will pass your messages on.  I'm disappointed though, we really thought we had found an easy way round this next part of our renovation.  Why is nothing easy?

Buy a macerator toilet in France from one of the brico's the type that is built into the toilet pan (not a separate bolt on unit) they look ok and work well. I fitted one six years ago and it still works perfectly, yes there is a noise for a few seconds after flushing but for an occasional use toilet, I find that acceptable, don't be put off.

Les,this wasn't for an occasional use situation was it? Weren't they going to be put in bathrooms? If I had a loo that really was just occasional use,eg maybe the poolhouse,then I would consider using the Saniflo,indeed we have kept ours just in case we decide to do that! Ours is a very modern one but it still is noisy,tricky in power cuts too,which we do get !!

www.thepetitmanoir.com