We have a property which according to the lead,asbestos and termite survey has old lino in a bathroom and hall which contains asbestos[produit contenant de l'amiante]. Can we remove this ourselves?, what safety precautions do we need to take? where can we dispose of this lino?

Jeremy

Do a google on "linoleum containing asbestos" or have look at

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/asbestos/floortile

/residental.htm

It is self explanatory and I cannot add anything to the advise given here except I am not sure that you are "allowed to remove asbestos-containing material yourself"., but France does seem to have a more relaxed attitude about asbestos than in the UK. It is as stated,  VERY important for the health and safety of you and your family that you perform the work correctly if you choose this option.

You may find your decheterie will take the lino without query, which is pretty amazing compared to the UK, however some departments are getting strict about asbestos material disposal.

[quote]We have a property which according to the lead,asbestos and termite survey has old lino in a bathroom and hall which contains asbestos[produit contenant de l'amiante]. Can we remove this ourselves?, w...[/quote]

Old lino potentially contains asbestos, so surveyors always mention it if they see lino. However, like Ron, I don't want to underplay the potential dangers of asbestos.

You can remove it yourself (legally at least) and your local dechetterie should take it (ours does). I've remove both lino & asbestos sheet from our place. Be very careful. Wear a good-quality mask (NOT one of the so-called hygiene masks), with fibre filters. Wet the area thoroughly and keep it wet.

The local tip are not worried about asbestos - they just had me add it to the pile in the corner.

Or don't. Get someone in to do it for you.

You will find a lot of clear information on options for materials suspected of containing asbestos on the Health and Safety Executive website, www.HSE.gov.uk. All their publications are designed to be straightforward, especially those aimed at small businesses. Most of the information is very applicable to house renovation etc. and is free!