Copper Pipe

cheminot

I have noticed that it is possible to buy copper pipe of up to 16mm in coils (25-50m long), I have used 10mm pipe in coil form but wonder how easy it is to use in the bigger sizes. It is considerably cheaper in this form but I wonder how well it copes with being straightened and formed into tighter bends. Has anyone any experience with this and if so any tips on its usage?

Cheminot

As long as you're bending it with springs or a bending tool it's a

dream to use. Esthetically you might prefer the hard, 3m stuff for

places where it's on show as (at least for me) it's hard to get it dead

straight as you unroll it, and a pair of 16mm pipes running down the wall, weaving like

snakes between the saddle clamps looks not only amateur, but faintly

comic!

paul

The copper pipe in rolls is annealed (have I spelt that right?), which makes it easy/necessary for bending. When you want to bend the straight stuff, you must anneal it first (heat it to cherry red & plunge it into water) otherwise it will snap/crack. Annealing weakens copper, so I assume that the rolled stuff is not as strong. Never given me any problems, tho. Used plenty of it before I discovered PER.

BTW, you will probably need to reform the ends on the tube, to allow a good joint, as it tends to deform easily when cut.

That's interesting, Nick, I always assumed the softer rolls were purer

copper, and that the straight stuff was an alloy of copper and a tiny

bit of something to make it harder.

I've never found I've needed to anneal the hard stuff to bend it

(within reason) provided it either had a spring inside it or I was

using a bending machine, but maybe the French stuff is different to the

UK 15/22mm.

paul

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]That's interesting, Nick, I always assumed the softer rolls were purer copper, and that the straight stuff was an alloy of copper and a tiny bit of something to make it harder.
I've never found I've needed to anneal the hard stuff to bend it (within reason) provided it either had a spring inside it or I was using a bending machine, but maybe the French stuff is different to the UK 15/22mm.

paul

[/quote]

Aye, the French stuff is much thicker. Gawd knows how much I have broken trying to bend it (albeit with a roller type bender, rather than a spring).

hi

just a quicky on copper pipe. when the uk was forced to go metric ie with copper pipe and other things the inside dimensions of copper pipe was un altered they reduced it on the the thickness to give 15mm pipe hence uk thin pipe

just for info

dave

[quote]

hi

just a quicky on copper pipe. when the uk was forced to go metric ie with copper pipe and other things the inside dimensions of copper pipe was un altered they reduced it on the the thickness to give 15mm pipe hence uk thin pipe

just for info

dave

[/quote]

So UK 15mm is 14mm I/D then? That could be useful to someone wanting to adapt to Frencg sizes - 15mm to a bit of 14mm to 16mm - obvious or too obvious?

When I plumbed in our central heating last month, I ordered copper pipe via Screwfix (15mm and 22mm) and BES (28mm) in the UK ahead of the journey out - more for convenience sake than anything else, but it was also cheaper. I noticed, when it arrived, that most of it was stamped "Made in France".  

I've never had any problem bending 15 or 22mm provided I've used an internal spring. I haven't found a 28mm spring yet but it's tough stuff and I don't reckon my knees could cope!

I've bent 28mm stuff, albeit around a very gentle curve of about 3 foot radius! It was for the hot water part of a part pumped c/h system, and the boiler manufacturer recommended very gentle curves. Three foot radius was about the best I could achieve!

Alcazar

Hi All

I have not used the French coiled copper pipe so I am takeing a chance here, I think it's refrigeration quality pipe, so it will have a thicker wall, will be soft and is easy to bend, just make sure you are using the right size bending tool, I say this because some of the cheaper tools are way off size.........

Bonne Chance