we have a well and would like to use the water to supply the house

Blade

the old boy apparently used to drink it but i know we would need to get this analysed. what do we need to do particularly as the well in on the other plot of land near the house but with a communal road going through . thanks in advance.

When we bought our cottage the notaire presented us with test results from the Government approved lab, which was in St Lo (we are in Manche). this showed the water was not fit for drinking as it contains Cryptosporidium. We use it for the lawn only. Our papers also showed that we have exclusive rights to the well, just as well as it is under the house. (Which causes another set of challenges, but we won't go there) Was anything mentioned in your paperwork? if you have clean, safe water then I guess you would have to get permission to put a pipe under the road to you house to access it?

Do you already have piping and a pump? I am assuming that the previous owner didn't carry buckets across the road.

You can get the water analysed quite simply, just get an empty mineral water bottle, about 1 litre, fill it from your well and take it to the local pharmacie and as for un analyse d'eau. You pay (it used to be about £20) and get a full report, in French, of everything found. So long as you know what potable and non-potable mean you are OK!

We had similar assurances about our water, but it was basically heavily diluted cowcrap...