What are the risks of not getting planning permission for a window?

lynpy

Hi

We need to put a window in our main room, as its very dark with only one window, as the other will disappear when our extension is finished.

The only wall that can carry another window faces a field, partly owned by ourselves, but the immediate 3m of land are owned by an elderly couple who visit now and again in the summer to collect some fruit. They have no objections to a window facing onto the bit of land that they own, and in fact they will probably sell it to us anyway in the next few years. (But that's another story!) However, we've been told that we can't have a window there because the land next to that wall is not owned by ourselves even though no one will be able to see it and we have the owners permission!  So you can imagine that this is quite annoying as it is only a small regulation that is stopping us from having a bit of light in this gloomy room.

We would also like to put a velux window in the extension that we are building. This is north facing and will be very dark. However we've been told that we cant have a velux either although no-one will be able to see it. What's really annoying is other houses in the same road have velux windows (that are visible)!

So the only option is to put the 2 windows in without permission. But  has anyone got any idea as to the sort of trouble we could find ourselves in? I'm wondering if these other people have just gone ahead - but we don't know them enough to ask such a direct question!

Thanks

Lynpy

The penalties for doing anything without the appropriate permission (Dec de Travaux, Permis de whatever etc) are obvious. You will be required to restore the building to its previous condition, you will be fined and you could (if you changed a protected building) be liable to a spell on a prison farm.

However, applying for permission is free and simple (as you know, as you have already got permission for your extension). You will need to apply for a declaration de travaux for the windows (not a full permis). The border issue shouldn't be, if you see what I mean. If you have your neighbours permission (in writing) then that ceases to become an obstacle.

Who told you that you would not get permission?

Hi Nick

Having to restore would not be a problem, and it's not a protected building. I think I'd be more worried about the fine!

Anyway, it was the Architects du Batiments de France who told us. Perhaps we could just apply for a declaration de travaux ansd see if we get a different answer!

Why don't you just go along to your Marie or local planning department with drawn plans and photos (and letter from neighbour) and ask? They will give you the correct form to complete - Declaration de Travaux. We found our planning office very helpful.

Our friend has had a glass block "window" installed on the side where the neighbour's boundary comes up to her house and she couldn't get permission for a proper window. It looks nice and lets in loads of light, so there are ways and means.

Hi Lympy

I have had quite a few dealings with the ABF in 47 and |I have found out how difficult they can be. I have now had 2 separate Permis de Construire's granted on my property with a third application for the rest pending.

My take on them (for 47) is that that are inconsistent in the application of their own rules both between different members of the department and from one day to the next for the same person.

My ABF hate velux and thier staring point is that none can be used. We (i.e my architect) has tried negotiating for one in a massive building and the ABF bod hinted he might allow it if we didn't seek 2 lucarnes(dormer windows) that we were also asking for so one step forward and two back at best. I find the logic flawed as whilst they look modern they do not alter the roofline of a building. I could go on but iIwould rather PM as I still harbour a little niggle that I could be identified.

One other point worth noting is that when I made a specific query about a piece of my building and related it to a feature I wanted to copy on a building nearby (and also in the 500 metre protected zone)  the architect turned on his computer and looked at photos of the other property and of mine. Clearly they had a lot of photos before I came on the scene and before any application for a PdC was made. It is of course possible that they did a visit to photograph my place after the application for CU (i.e outline planning permission).

Bonne chance

Thanks for all the replies

We would certainly prefer to be above board and legal and so perhaps we will try again in the hope that they are inconsistent! 

Zeb, I think you've hit the nail on the head, as we already have a bathroom window of glass block that is on the same wall bordering the field, but which was  here already. I did wonder how that had been allowed previously, but obviously glass block is allowed.  And, I'd be happy with another one as it really is quite nice.

Thanks again

Lynpy