Tax Credit on Cost of New Gas Combination Boiler

Sarahd

Hello everyone.

Our 20 year gas fired combination boiler has finally given up the ghost and we are now looking for a good value modern replacement, probably sourced from Brico-Depot.  

The engineer who called told me that provided this is our principal residence then we should qualify for a 25% credit against the cost of the new boiler. Good news is that yes this is our principal residence so hopefully we can obtain this reduction courtesy of the local Impot office.

We are on a very tight budget so this will greatly help us.

Can someone who has done this before please guide me on exactly how I go about obtaining this tax credit? Presumably I have to pay up front for the full cost and then with receipts and the plumber's bill I can go to the local tax office and get the 25% reimbursed? My only thought is that I do not work or pay income tax in France as my husband works & receives a salary in the U.K. and remains a U.K. resident. I am hoping this will not affect my eligibility for this credit.

Many thanks in advance for people's guidance on this.

We have done all of that and the French tax authorities are fully aware of our position. Because my husband remains a full time resident in the U.K. we have been told by the French authorities that no income tax is payable on the amount he sends over to me each month for house keeping costs etc. Both the French & U.K. tax authorities are fully informed about this and are perfectly happy about the situation.

I have been told by the French authorities that because I do not work in France and do not receive a direct income in France I do not have to pay any income tax in France. This certainly seems perfectly sensible & fair & reasonable to me. I have completed tax returns on this basis in France and everyone is perfectly happy with this.

I do, however, pay habitation and fonciere tax in France.

I think I may have answered my own question here and as I pay no French income I probably won't be getting any sort of credit or tax refund. Is the credit definitely only reimburseable through an offset in income tax?

Thanks again for any help.

Thanks very much for your reply BJSLIV - that's good news for us!

Presumably once the boiler is installed I should contact the local Centre D'Impots office and provide copies of my plumber's invoice and also the purchase receipt for the boiler and make my application for the credit? Hopefully they will then process my application and post me the cheque for the credit.

Thanks again!

Its not good news at all Sarah because BJ is wrong[:^)]  As Nick says you have to complete an income tax return in order to get this tax credit, do you really think that they hand cheques to any Tom,  Dick and Andre that walks in off the street? Well perhaps in Provence they do but they are a funny lot aren't they[:)]

As Les L has stated if you live here you should have completed a tax return  even if you have no income, I don't know your circumstances and I apologise if you have registered for health care here, but if you haven't, be aware that the impots and health systems are linked,  so if  you have not completed a tax return before, you  may be opening up a can of worms that you may wish you hadn't.

We are currently checking on this having just had a wood burner installed, which qualifies for a tax credit. My understanding is that for a tax credit of this sort the equipment has to be supplied and installed by the same "professional/enterprise". The tax magazine VO, on sale at the moment, gives detailed information and appears to specifically exclude equipment purchased by the (tax) contribuable even if installed by an enterprise.

para 558 - Ainsi, les equipements, materiaux et appereils acquis directement par le contrbuable ne donnent pas droit a cet avantage , meme si leur pose ou leur installation est effectuee par une enterprise 

the equipment has to be supplied and installed by the same "professional/enterprise

Quite right! It operates in a similar way to the low rate VAT ie you cannot DIY or even BIY and then get someone to fit it.

It partly negates the advantage of the tax saving as it means you will probably have to pay list price for professional quality goods rather than discounted products from a "shed".