Stripping Beams

Gabe

What is the best way to strip a beam ? I have two beams in the living room, both previously clad and both heavily smoke stained from the old fire. Some evidence of woodworm so will be treating this as well, but do not need comments on the pros and cons of doing this yourself, as this has been well documented before. Have read lots of alternatives for the stripping but what is the best ? Neither beam has been painted or plastered, the cladding was just nailed on.

Gabe

[quote user="Dicksmith"]

Preferably the kind of wire brush that fits like a knuckle duster, otherwise your knuckles get attached to the beam...

[/quote]

Drill powered wire brush Dick, pay attention at the back!![:)]  Good advice about the mask though.

Probably overkill if you've only got two beams but I've just sandblasted all mine that were, like yours, heavy with smoke stains. Not a nice job either as the sand gets everywhere but the result was first rate... the down side was finding even more woodworm. Arghhh

Thanks for the advice. Another question related to this. The ceiling joists, think that is the right term, running at right angles to the beams, have been heavily painted as has the underside of the floorboards of the floor above. These are also heavily smoke stained and very greasy. Whilst I would have preferred to strip the joists as well, I can't face the job as the paint is so thick and the room is big c.30m2. I will probably repaint these (coward) and the floorboards. The question is, can anybody recommend a method of degreasing and cleaning this wood prior to painting ? I did try doing a small air with a so called super kitchen degreaser, but no use. Could use sand blasting I suppose, but would this take all the paint off, or would it leave bits in difficult corners etc.

Gabe

p.s. I do not want to put board up between the joists.

Sandblasting would take off as much as you like and will get into the corners. If you have dodgy timber it might cause some damage. It makes a hell of a mess though, I wouldn't do it if I were living in the house.

Holly

• 1 month later...

sandblasting is one idea but.........there are downsides (cost of hires / sand everywhere)... so... suggest a conventional angle-grinder with a normal, toughened sanding disk... its stronger than a normal wood sander and you get all you want off easily... then xylopene the beams and, you're done.... not difficult (ive done numerous this way and result is fantastic).... its messy so be prepared - a mask a good option....

neil (24)

Just looking through the Screwfix catalogue and they sell a "surface preparation disc" that ,to quote "removes paint,varnish rust and scale without damaging metal,wood,fibreglass granite brick or stone.non clog." Dont know if there any good but they do one with an arbor and one for a grinder.

Matt